20 days to Midtjylland, a Halloween movie awaits

Few things delight you and me as much as reading, discussing, or writing about Celtic signing targets.  Mario this, George, that, Piero or Ko the next thing make the summer nights seem even brighter.  Celtic, it seems, have great plans, but as one of my early bosses once told me, if you don’t achieve some early progress, you will not be around to see those great plans come to fruition.

We are 20 days away from facing Midtjylland in Champions League qualification.  New signings from outside the UK are likely to have to isolate for around half of that time.  I know what you’re thinking, Ange Postecoglou is unbelievably brilliant and can transform a sow’s ear into domestic and European success.

He may have to.  Even if a goalkeeper, right back and central half arrive this afternoon, they do not have sufficient time to blend into a cohesive defensive unit.  Try to imagine our much-needed corner kick defensive practice on Zoom.  Or we could always just continue with things from last season….

We have seen the summer honeymoon movie before.  It often ends with an unseasonably-early Halloween film in August.

1. TOMMOCELT on 30TH JUNE 2021 4:46 PM

James Forrest gets more hits when he’s moaning, also seems to enjoy it and constantly appears to be seeking validation. Also a post like yours always appears if he doesn’t get enough attention.

2. glendalystonsils on

I see Midtjylland have started strengthening in advance of our tie by signing a Brazilian midfielder . He might turn out to be Scheidt of course , but we sure have some catching up to do .

3. In less than 7 hours Parkheid time Peter the Great walks out of the Parkheid Gates for the last time as CEO and still the weeping and gnashing of teeth goes on.

If yer no Huns then you are doing their work for them.

4. SQUIRE DANAHER on 30TH JUNE 2021 12:09 PM

SD

My only comment about that is where were all the supporters shouting for something to happen in 2001 ?. Can you direct me to the articles. We were too busy ripping the pish outa the huns to worry.

I have posted, albeit last season that we should crowd fund legal action retro on the board & if Lawwell is guilty , so be it. Not sure if still posdible but I would support such a move.

Also, we should go after the SFA for tgeir part in all of the mess.

5. What is the likelihood of some progress tomorrow when Dom & Ange (sounds slightly Eastendersish…) become the ‘Mhen’? I wonder…

6. Back to Basics - Glass Half Full on

If Griff rumour is true then goodbye and good luck Leigh.

Ideally I would have liked him to stay.

If it is not to be then so be it.

Past tense as a player.

Will still be one of the Celtic family.

I’ll even forgive his pathetic online posturing because, to paraphrase Tammy Wynette ….

…. after all he’s just a 21st century professional footballer.

7. I have supported celtic for many a year and yet I still struggle to get my head around the incompetent we witness. Lots of talk last week about moving forward and identying players etc. but it all means nothing if not followed up with action.

It’s a shame cause folk who were positive last week and now becoming negative again, celtic, a club like no other rings very true.

I hope to fuck we have some hidden gems in the academy

8. STEPHBHOY67 on 30TH JUNE 2021 5:44 PM

‘I have supported celtic for many a year and yet I still struggle to get my head around the incompetent we witness.’

####

I’m not convinced it’s incompetence.

9. squire danaher on

ADI_DASSLER NOT FOR 2ND BEST on 30TH JUNE 2021 5:10 PM

SQUIRE DANAHER on 30TH JUNE 2021 12:09 PM

SD

———

Yes, fair comment.

Some feared the worst though, when Mr Lawwell declared soon after they went pop that the absence of the Huns would cost us £5m a year.

You know the rest.

10. Can’t say that I’ll be sorry to see the back of Griffiths.

Hopefully he takes another few with him

11. Rock Tree Bhoy on

With the best will in the world we won’t see the fruition of Ange’s work on Celtic much before Christmas at the earliest, thru no fault of his of course. Neil Lennon left Celtic in February, Ange wasn’t appointed until June, a 4 month gap were all we did was prepare to fail, and chances are we will see the results of this preparation in the Champions League Qualifiers, no surprise there then.

There will be a price to pay for the sheer stupidity of waiting 4 months to replace Neil Lennon, not qualifying for the Champions League will be the minimum price.

12. Rock Tree Bhoy

I can’t disagree with any of that. Certainly not the timescales. They are factually correct.

A poster recently asked what would success look like for Ange.

Given the relatively short prep time he has had, along with a cobbled together backroom team, I’d suggest a creditable 2nd place. Perhaps a cup and the green shoots of recovery elsewhere?

We really haven’t made life easy for him.

13. squire danaher on

UNCLE JIMMY on 30TH JUNE 2021 6:28 PM

Rock Tree Bhoy

A poster recently asked what would success look like for Ange.

———

Celtic have overcome adversity before but not always immediately.

1977-8 was a dreadful season for a number of reasons, Mr Stein’s heart no longer seemed in the job after the loss of the talisman, aggravated by the loss in the season opener of Stanton and Conn, lack of funds to adequately replace any of the three and then the loss of McGrain for 18 months. The season was similar to last season in that it was a deteriorating succession of calamities, rectified by the return of Mr McNeill.

To be honest, I can never recall a shambles such as this.

In terms of measuring progress, the new manager could be judged favourably in my view if he develops a pattern of play where people seem to know what they’re meant to be doing and we have hope for the following season.

That would do me. Winning a trophy next season will be an unexpected bonus.

14. CORNELIUS on 30TH JUNE 2021 3:25 PM

“GS senior may be slotted in as DofF but that won’t help Ange in the dat to day.”

Perhaps you missed Dom say last week at the press & Fan media conferences, “Gordon Strachan is not in line to be the DoF”, por cierto

15. SQUIRE DANAHER:

“Summer 1987 wasn’t great either with Macleod, McInally, McClair and Judas all leaving at the same time, coincidentally also rectified by the return of Mr McNeill.”

It led to our double-winning centenary season though, did it not? por cierto

16. Por Cierto

I missed the fans PC. Did the new ceo advise what model we would be adopting?

Though, I assume we’re not now bringing in anyone as DoF, nor allowing the new man to bring in his own team.

Looks increasingly like a straight swap of Ange for Neil. Everything else will be as per the second placed side from last season.

17. Por Cierto

Not sure Dom said an out and out No to WGS becoming DOF. I thought it was more of a “No, I am looking at structures and will decide once that process is completed “. Of course, I could be entirely wrong – wouldn’t be the first time, nor the last probably…

18. Go tell the Spartim on

Does it make sense to let Griffiths go? We’re not exactly overflowing with new players, Eddie is still likely to leave, Ajeti, well god only knows what version we will get, who else will play up front Ma baw Mikey. A one year extension makes sense, we could even punt him and some cash to his for Nisbet, near the end of the window or maybe there’s a gentlemen’s agreement to let griff leave and we get discount? I think Nisbet looks decent nothing more

19. If griff leaves good luck to him. He let himself down, disrespected Celtic and his team mates going into the greatest of all season. He did this on the back of Celtic supporting him though his mental health issues.

Even bigger mistake was Lennon keeping him when he should have kicked ntcham, Eduard, and Griffiths out the second they showed any lack of intent n the 10 – keeping them together devalued the celtic badge!!

Stein and McNeil would never tolerate that attitude!

Now , Ange will change the attitude – but will the board change their slow, penny pinching, bargain hunting, strategy at the expense of champions league qual AND heading the pressure on there new staff from the get go.

Push the boat out , show some intent and make 2-3 quality signings to give the team and the fans the boost it needs!!!

20. SD

Thanks for the reply. It sgill wrankles with me that the 55 lies and all the other lies & cheating went on unchallenged by our gutless press.

Still polluting the papers with lies. Nobody has sat back & actually asked….how are they paying their debts apart from issuing confetti shares worth hee haw.

21. fairhill bhoy on

JHB-as usual getting his wee newco bit in😉

We know they beat this team 7-3 a few years ago .

A fekn clown

22. squire danaher on

POR CIERTO on 30TH JUNE 2021 6:58 PM

SQUIRE DANAHER:

It led to our double-winning centenary season though, did it not? por cierto

——

Yes it did

That’s why I said “coincidentally also rectified by the return of Mr McNeill.”

23. fairhill bhoy on

Bada-I didn’t say anything we have currently is better than ML.

I just think his time has gone.Nothing against the guy

24. Site is impossible to access from my laptop, a big we value your privacy notice which you cannot remove even by agreeing to accept , so this is from my phone.

To the guys who want a game at Shotts the course is getting better every day so the invitation is there.

25. squire danaher on

ADI_DASSLER NOT FOR 2ND BEST on 30TH JUNE 2021 7:38 PM

Yeah, unchallenged by the MSM, but also by people who Celtic supporters had trusted to defend our club and what was widely thought to be in its interests.

26. Not expecting too much from this upcoming Season. I think even the Europa League is looking doubtful. I want to see Progress all across the Club.

I’m Sorry but I just can not take to that Bankier dude. I know he is an Easy Target but he is weak and shouldnae be there. His introductions to the new guys was sh!t to be honest.

I’m in the ernie camp of the Board being smarter than the Average Board…….. and last Season was just Business.

Come on Forster 2 Barkas!!!!

27. emdi any suggestions re adblock. altering setting to control these adverts.site appears sadly unnavigable.yet at other time fluid.

hh