CELTIC today return to Easter Road, the ground where their league title-winning sequence kicked off on Sunday, July 24, 2011.

The Hoops are searching for their seventh successive Premiership crown and they are determined not to come unstuck in Edinburgh against a Hibs team now managed by Neil Lennon, the man in charge of the Parkhead side when the flag procession started.

Only James Forrest remains from the 14 used by the Irishman as they overcame the Leith outfit as they launched their attempt to regain the championship from the tax cheats at Ibrox.


There have been massive changes in the east end of Glasgow since the remarkable surge was set in motion in the capital.

Lennon and his backroom staff left to be replaced by Ronny Deila and his No.2 John Collins in June 2014. Brendan Rodgers and Chris Davies succeeded the Norwegian and the former Celtic midfielder in May 2016.

Here are the players who were victorious in Edinburgh to get the ball rolling.

LUKASZ ZALUSKA: The keeper, now 35, was signed from Dundee United on a Bosman deal as back-up to his fellow-Pole Artur Boruc in 2009. He failed to establish himself in the first team and was also stand-by for Fraser Forster and then Craig Gordon. He was released two seasons ago and joined Bundesliga side SV Darmstadt 98. Now with Polish outfit Pogo Szczecin.

MARK WILSON: Signed from Dundee United for £500,000 in 2006, the right-back captained Celtic against Hibs in the absence of the suspended Scott Brown. He won a league medal in his final season at the club. After a spell at Bristol City, he returned to Tannadice. The 33-year-old former international played 10 games for Dumbarton before being released last summer. He had a short stint as manager of Airdrie and is now working in the media.

KELVIN WILSON: Neil Lennon brought his former Nottingham Forest team-mate to Parkhead on a Bosman in the summer of 2011 and the centre-half, now 32, made his first appearance at Easter Road. He spent two years in the east end of Glasgow before returning to the City Ground in a £2.5million deal.

GLENN LOOVENS: The Dutch central defender, signed from Cardiff City for £2.1million in August 2008, was also on the way out at the end of the championship-winning campaign.He spent a season with Spanish outfit Real Zaragoza and the 34-year-old is now captain of Sheffield Wednesday in the English Championship.

EMILIO IZAGUIRRE: The 31-year-old Honduran international defender, signed from Motagua for around £1million in 2010, lost his left-back place to Kieran Tierney two seasons ago and joined Saudi team Al-Fayha FC in the summer.

BERAM KAYAL: The Israeli midfielder cost around £1.5million when he joined from Maccabi Hafia in 2010. An ankle injury kept him out for four months and he faded from the first team picture when Deila replaced Lennon. The 29-year-old joined Brighton and played a key role in their promotion to the Premier League last season.

JOE LEDLEY: The Welsh international arrived on a Bosman from Cardiff City in 2010 and became a key man for the Hoops. The 31-year-old playmaker was sold for £800,000 to Crystal Palace in January 2014 when he only had five months left on his contract. He joined Derby County as a free agent earlier this season.


KI SUNG-YEUNG: The South Korean midfielder, signed from FC Seoul for £2.1million in 2009, scored seven times for the title-winners and claimed the second goal against Hibs in the 63rd minute. The 28-year-old moved to Premier League side Swansea City in 2012 for £6million and had a loan spell at Sunderland before returning to the Welsh outfit.

KRIS COMMONS: The 34-year-old midfielder, who missed a penalty-kick against Hibs on the fateful day, arrived for a bargain £300,000 from Derby County in 2011, but failed to make a solitary appearance for Rodgers. Had an emergency loan spell with Lennon at Hibs last term, but has now quit playing to become a media pundit.

ANTHONY STOKES: The Republic of Ireland international, who arrived in a £1.2million deal from Hibs in August 2010, grabbed the 14th-minute opener against his old club, where he spent five months on loan two seasons ago and helped them to win their first Scottish Cup in 114 years. The 29-year-old frontman left Parkhead in the summer to join Blackburn Rovers and returned to Easter Road on a permanent basis in the summer.


GARY HOOPER: The striker was an inspired £2.4million signing by Lennon from Scunthorpe in July 2010. The Englishman scored 63 goals in 95 league games before Norwich City paid £5million to take him to Carrow Road in July 2013..The goals dried up in East Anglia and the 29-year-old is now a team-mate of Loovens at Hillsborough following his £2.4million move during the January 2016 transfer window.

JAMES FORREST: The winger replaced Commons on the hour mark. The rejuvenated international, now 26, made his breakthrough in 2010, but failed to settle until Rodgers arrived and put him back on track. Also agreed a contract extension at the start of last season.

GEORGIOS SAMARAS: Came on as a 79th-minute substitute for Stokes. Gordon Strachan signed him for £2.5million from Manchester City in 2008 after the Greek international impressed during his initial loan period. The 33-year-old attacker left in 2014 at the end of his contract and signed for West Brom. Also had a spell with little-known American outfit Rayo OKC. Now with Samsunpor in Turkey after a spell at Real Zaragoza.

SHAUN MALONEY: Had only four minutes on the pitch after replacing Hooper. The 35-year-old was in his second spell at Parkhead after starting out in 2000 under Martin O’Neill and then rejoining the Irishman at Aston Villa for £1million in 2007. He returned to the Hoops a year later for £3million. He left in August 31, 2011 in an £850,000 deal for Wigan before moving to Hull City after a spell in the States with Chicago Fire. Now back at Parkhead as part of the youth coaching set-up.

Unused substitutes: Dominic Cervi, Charlie Mulgrew, Adam Matthews and Victor Wanyama.




Click Here for Comments >

About Author