Celtic interims report income, profit and bank balance up again

Celtic reported an increase in turnover of 6.6% to £53.3m for the six months to 31 December 2019 (2018: £50.0m).  Profit from trading was up slightly to £7.1m (2018: £6.2m), which the departure of Kieran Tierney saw profit from player transfers hit £23.0m (2018: £17.6m).

Money spent on player registrations for the period was £15.0m, up significantly from the £1.9m in the corresponding period last season.  The Rainy Day Fund was sitting at £45.1m, that’s just £8m shy of the annual turnover of Scotland’s second highest turnover club.

Celtic have moved into a new financial space since 2016, not only have we won all domestic trophies, but we have a commercial operation that is now successful enough to cope (if not thrive) when Europa League football is all that is achieved.

Expenditure, particularly on wages and transfer fees, has grown with turnover.  Transfer fees paid across both windows this season, at £22m, is the highest in our history.  Wages will continue to creep north, despite a couple of high cost leavers over the last 12 months.

We are safe and we are expanding, which has resulted in domestic success.  This is the kind of budget expansion I like, not the Casino Football we witnessed elsewhere a while back.  The lack of Champions League football this season and last is the only blot; one that needs to be addressed during this summer’s preparations.

Getting the big strategic calls right in football is a difficult balancing act.  I know the £45m bank balance is, ironically, not something any of us want to see, but it will enable us to push the transfer fees and wage boundaries further-still in the future.

1. bada bingo …que?

smiley alles in espaniolas senorio bus passio…thing

Braw

2. Bada Bing Says:-

£37 for Copenhagen game I know Bada it’s a rip-off

that’s a £13 increase from the last Europa League

Home Match Ridiculous & Money Grabbing

£30 would be a fair price not £37 which is unfair

I heard that Copenhagen are charging £30 for the

game against us on Thursday the 20th of February 2020

3. Happy with the bank balance,if its used to maintain our squad.Eddy could be offered wages to stay a bit longer.Big Fraser,could be signed.No need for anyone else in the summer,unless we unearth another gem.I don’t agree with the clamour for a CH.We could not afford to buy any better than we have.People forget these guys performances in Europe this year.One ropey game out of 14,and that was bynomeans all down to the defence.Another CL Qualification on the cards this year,if we can keep the team together.

Incredible,considering the football climate we operate in.

4. “We needed Champions League football, and if we went into the Europa League we were in trouble because the cost structure was so high.

“Take that away for one season and it will change the numbers on the Celtic side very quickly.“

House of cards loyal

5. Turkeybhoy on 7th February 2020 7:47 pm

French Eddie is a lost cause. Chances are he’ll go for megabucks straight to one of the top EPL outfits.

I’d be more concerned about retaining FF.

6. Gene Says:-

Benkovic on bench for Bristol City FC

Yeah we know Gene with all that Sly TV Money being pumped into

English Football Bristol City FC can afford to pay Benkovic £75,000

per Week to warm the Subs Seat

7. ERNIE

He’s not a lost cause!

He will have produced a huge profit when we sell him.

It’s what we do!

8. Adi_Dassler Says:-

Bada

Done & shared

Well done mate, I signed said Petition was well the way that

BBC Scotland has treated Michael Stewart is shocking

BBC Scotland should go & hang their heads in Shame

9. ADI_DASSLER on 7TH FEBRUARY 2020 6:52 PM

The Scottish establishment will protect Alex Salmond. Watch this space.

P**h

____________________________________________

Adi, my bhoy, why do you think this is urine? ‘Other factors’ can influence the quality of justice in Scottish courts. This is still the land of Donald Findlay and William Wolfe, for that matter.

10. AKBW1888 on 7TH FEBRUARY 2020 7:55 PM

BBC Scotland should hang.

———————————————-

There, sorted that for you!

11. PHILBHOY on 7TH FEBRUARY 2020 7:54 PM

ERNIE

He’s not a lost cause!

He will have produced a huge profit when we sell him.

It’s what we do

I hope tall Eddy does not go in the foreseeable future & we will

not let him leave on the cheap no chance whoever wants to

make a bid for tall Eddy no doubt the rumour mill we be in

overdrive come next July in the Transfer Auction High Wages

Market which ever Club will have to pay the going rate for

tall Eddy yeah about £100.000.000

12. FRITZSONG on 7TH FEBRUARY 2020 7:57 PM

ADI_DASSLER on 7TH FEBRUARY 2020 6:52 PM

The Scottish establishment will protect Alex Salmond. Watch this space

P**h

……………………………….

This is no parochial hearing!

The eyes of the world will watch this one.

He’s fuck** in my opinion.

No one deserves it more.

Mind you,I suppose I’m prejudiced against wee fat arrogant bastards.

13. CELTICFOREVER on 7TH FEBRUARY 2020 8:00 PM

37 for Copenhagen game for season ticket holders

Then next sale stage 42 quid

Yeah Celtic Forever the Ticket Office is trying to get the ticket price up too

what Bankrupt FC charged us for out last visit @ Castle Grey Skull which

was £52 each ticket

14. AKBW1888

We are a selling club, not our fault.

Grateful we are able to sign talent like Eddie and would love him to stay.

He will move for money and bigger trophies than we can provide.

Who can blame him?

15. Gene

Benkovic hasn’t played, of course he is on the bench

Should Soro have got a game immediately?

Doesn’t mean we should not have brought him back

16. Philbhoy on 7th February 2020 7:54 pm

He’s a lost cause if the cause is trying to get him to stay by upping his wages.

There’s no way Celtic can get anywhere near the money he could command in the EPL.

17. glendalystonsils on

BADA

Petition signed. I’m not sure Michael Stewart would go back if the BBC asked him after the way they handled this . He’ll know he has a lot of backers who agree with him though.

18. FRITZSONG on 7TH FEBRUARY 2020 7:57 PM

Well my Fritzsong Bhoy . ( Sounds like some pompuos twat talkin to his butler) lets see what happens. Eh ?.

HH have a good night

19. ERNIE

We know we can’t compete with the bigger leagues and I fully expect to lose our great players.

As long as we get a decent fee I’m ok with that.

It’s a long time since I loved a Celtic player.

Too heartbreaking when they leave.

20. PHILBHOY on 7TH FEBRUARY 2020 8:06 PM

FRITZSONG on 7TH FEBRUARY 2020 7:57 PM

ADI_DASSLER on 7TH FEBRUARY 2020 6:52 PM

The Scottish establishment will protect Alex Salmond. Watch this space

P**h

……………………………….

This is no parochial hearing!

The eyes of the world will watch this one.

He’s fuck** in my opinion

No one deserves it more.

Mind you,I suppose I’m prejudiced against wee fat arrogant bastards.

So what you are saying Phil-Bhoy is that Alex Salmond should put a

dress on with no pants & turn up @ the Court ready to be Violated

Nah I would not jump to Judgement so fast

Court Cases are decided on who tells the best story & who has the

best defence I can see the bold Alex Salmond getting a “Not Proven/

Or Not Guilty Verdict it’s typed by our Savoir & Father in the Stars

On A Clear Night as far as Coldland is concerned

21. glendalystonsils on

Philbhoy

Aye. I remember I was on holiday when Dalglish signed for Liverpool and it totally ruined my holiday . I’m older and wiser now.

22. Yesterday, several posters sent best wishes to David Hay and registered their appreciation of his play. I saw what I think was his first game against Ayr Utd. He was at left back and he scored. In the following season, Jock Stein played him at left half in a cup tie against Rangers. He confronted and nullified Rangers captain, Grieg, time and time again. Bob Crampsey described John G as an ageing gun-fighter who could no longer cope with a younger, more skilled opponent.

David was hard but scrupulously fair. His decision to leave was a monument to Celtic’s mismanagement. Personally, I think Big Jock misread the runes. He believed that the flow of top class Scottish talent into Celtic Park would continue unabated.

Anyway, best wishes, David.

23. With such positive financials around…………………………………………………. can McNugget be far away….with ever so mannerly, realistic pronooooncements?

24. Coneybhoy

Different situations – , he’s on loan to Bristol till end of season ,- so would have expected him to get early games

25. PHILBHOY on 7TH FEBRUARY 2020 8:10 PM

AKBW1888

We are a selling club, not our fault.

Grateful we are able to sign talent like Eddie and would love him to stay.

He will move for money and bigger trophies than we can provide.

Who can blame him?

Yeah eventually if the price is right & it’s a Club who have the potential

to deliver bigger trophies if I was tall Eddy I would hold my horses

until the time & opportunity is Right

26. AKBW1888

So what you are saying Phil-Bhoy is that Alex Salmond should put a

dress on with no pants & turn up @ the Court ready to be Violated

……………………………………………..

No I am not saying that!

I expect him to get a fair trial before he is jailed for a long time!

27. GLENDALYSTONSILS

Kenny leaving was a sore one.

I couldn’t understand it …………at the time.

28. CONEYBHOY on 7TH FEBRUARY 2020 8:11 PM

Gene

Benkovic hasn’t played, of course he is on the bench

Should Soro have got a game immediately?

Doesn’t mean we should not have brought him back

Nah Coneybhoy I would not bring him back for £80,000

per week wage packet & that is what we would have had

to fork out just for a few months no that does make good

business sense when we also now have the option to

put the extra money we have saved to better use & also

Benkovic last Season was out the First Team for a

considerable amount of time which goes to show he is

Injury Prone we are talking here about a player who

can not get a regular match in Leicester City’s First Team

FFS nah not interested in surplus to requirement type

players who will keep the Treatment Room busy