CELTIC have released details on how supporters can view today’s funeral of club legend Frank McGarvey online.

The 66-year-old former striker, who scored 113 goals for the Hoops, passed away on New Year’s Day after a short battle with cancer.

McGarvey will be laid to rest at 1pm today following a service at St Anthony’s Church in the southside of Glasgow.

Celtic have now provided a link for anyone wishing to follow the requiem mass service on YouTube. It can be viewed here.

The club confirmed the details in a statement and also added: “Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the family and friends of Frank at this difficult time.

“RIP, Frank. YNWA.”

GLORY BHOY…Frank McGarvey in action for Celtic during a Scottish Cup Final triumph.

His family had revealed in October that he had been diagnosed with the disease and McGarvey appeared on the pitch at Parkhead to make an emotional speech to the fans before the 6-1 win over Hibs. He thanked the followers for all their support during difficult times and earned a rousing reception.

The seven times-capped Scotland international kicked off his senior career at St Mirren in 1974 before moving to Liverpool five years later.

He stayed at Anfield for a mere 10 months before signing for boyhood heroes Celtic in 1980 for a-then Scottish transfer record fee of £275,000. He spent five seasons at Parkhead where he made 245 appearances.

HAMPDEN HERO…Frank McGarvey prepares to celebrate after leaving Dundee United keeper Hamish McAlpine helpless with the 1985 Scottish Cup winner.

THE CUP THAT CHEERS…Davie Provan and Frank McGarvey, Celtic goalscorers in the 2-1 win over Dundee United, parade the 1985 Scottish Cup to the celebrating fans.

Ironically, his last goal for the club was the 1985 Scottish Cup winner against Dundee United when he flashed in a late header to give the Hoops a memorable 2-1 triumph.

He won two league titles, two Scottish Cups and a League Cup during his Celtic career.

McGarvey returned to the Paisley Saints in the summer of 1985, scoring the winning goal against Hearts in the Scottish Cup semi-final in 1987 then helping the team win the Final – again against the Tannadice side. He claimed 102 goals in 341 outings for his first club.

He was named player/assistant manager the following year and made his final appearance before moving on to Queen of the South and later Clyde, Shots Bon Accord and Troon.

Thanks for the memories, Frank. Rest in Peace.

Click Here for Comments >

About Author