Five in open battle for central defensive places

After the dust settled on Sunday’s game I considered the four central defenders we fielded.  Acknowledging his poor performance, Brendan Rodgers reminded us Dedryck Boyata was just back from injury and will improve.  Jozo Simunovic coasted through the game but got drawn into the spate of off the ball acts which was a feature of the game.

Kris Ajar (19) continued his excellent recent form, while Jack Hendry (22) didn’t miss a beat when introduced after Jozo’s red card.  There will be tougher challenges ahead, but these two are more than comfortable at this level and have a genuine claim to a starting place at Hampden.

The Morton game a week earlier gave Marvin Compper an opportunity to show how match-fit he is – not sufficiently, was the outcome.  Marvin is at the club to bring experience and stability to the defensive line.  Our four games before the split are all against lower half of the league opposition.  The German international must be given plenty of game time in the coming month.

What our central defence will look like for the qualifiers remains an open book.  All five players discussed above are under consideration.  I expect comings and goings throughout the window in this area too.  Brendan will expect Marvin to play a significant part, but it will be a battle for all of them; which is a good thing.

1. traditionalist88 on

Go tell the Spartim on 13th March 2018 1:22 pm

My next task is to find the RB and CB before Trad 88 asks ;-)

========

At least you are playing by the rules now! :)

2. BOBBY MURDOCH'S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS on

YOGIHUGHES.

He has family down there. A coupla years back,he said he was down,its only an hour from Swindon,so I went up to meet him one Saturday. I thought it was a day on the bevvy,two pints in he orders a taxi-which I thought was into the town centre.

No,we’re going to my Auntie Eileen’s place. Wee family do.

Oh,how my heart sank. Honestly. I don’t know anyone,and more importantly,I don’t want to let DD down. Hiding to nothing here.

It was genuinely one of the finest Saturdays I’ve had. His family are every bit as brilliant as he is. Didn’t even need to put me at ease,it was there right away. His Mum,who was suffering from a fall,and her sister,were well,Magic.

His cousins,out the back door in the sun,amazing.

Wee Jimmy? Belle of the Ball,for want of a better expression,a wee superstar in the making.

A truly memorable day. And I hope DD has a truly memorable day today too.

(I’d send him some tips,but I don’t want to wreck it!)

3. Been thinking about potential right backs that “could” be within Celtic’s realistic “getabillity”

let me throw some names out there:

Bartosz Beresynski (24) – Polish (6 caps) – current club Sampdoria – estimated value £3.5m – Honours 5 Polish League Titles, 3 Polish Cups

Michael Lang (27) – Swiss (21 Caps) – Current Club Basel – estimated value £4.5m – Honours 2 Swiss League Titles, 2 Swiss Cups

Jens Stryger Larsen (27) – Danish (9 Caps) – Current Club Udinese- estimated value £1.5m – Honours 0

Hans Hatebor (24) – Dutch (12 Under21 Caps) – Current Club Atalanta – estimated value £3m – Honours 1 Dutch Cups

Stefan Lainer (25) Austrian (3 Caps) – Current Club RB Salzburg- estimated value £2m – Honours 2 Austrian League Titles, 2 Austrian Cups

Bogdan Butko (27) Ukrainian (28 Caps) – Current Club Shaktar Donetsk- estimated value £2m – Honours 1 Ukrainian League Titles, 1 Ukrainian Cup, 1 UEFA U19 Championship

4. DAVIDOPOULOS

Awe mate, wee warning please:)))

I only deal with fresh faced natural no make up hand knitted by organically sourced maidens in the South of France:))

5. starry plough

To be honest, she could just be trying to pay homage to the nickname Red Lichties…

Yes, there is nothing organic there…and it is most definitely not responsibly sourced!

6. SEÁNP1916

Michael Lang has certainly improved since he went to Basel, must be in his late 20’s now, experienced pro who is rarely injured. Basel have him mostly at right back now, did also see him linked with some Bundesliga smaller teams last summer…

7. South Of Tunis on

Bartosz Beresynski -????

He was the unregistered sub that cost Legia Warsaw the tie v Celtic

8. traditionalist88 on

Seánp1916 on 13th March 2018 1:56 pm

Interesting. You can bet Celtic will be aware of all those players. Lang may not be gettable as I’d say theres a few eyebrows being raised by his profile, especially in the Bundesliga. And when theres a queue of clubs the fee only goes up.

As for the others, the problem is that they’re all either at good clubs or in big leagues and possibly are first choice where they are at the moment.

But of course, thats why we have a few irons in the fire and everything may align for that one player who could actually improve our team to agree to join.

But when its not possible we just get the ‘excuse matrix’ out as everybody knows there can’t be any actual reason(s) why a footballer would not want to come to Glasgow or Scotland!

MWDafty

9. WeefratheTim on 13th March 2018 2:13 pm

Do you know him F or did he announce it ? :-))

10. FAVOURITE UNCLE on

BOBBY MURDOCH’S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS on 13TH MARCH 2018 1:20 PM

KIN brill .is that your voice.

11. dena29 on 13th March 2018 2:20 pm

I seen it on twitter the other day .

ps hugs from ML5

12. Just about recovered from the jet lag after return home from New York, and managed to stay awake to see the match. Great result, despite referee and assistant input. Even better to see DD and Weefra back on the blog. Been saying it for some time, get Eddy signed up soonest. Need to sort out the centre half area, and that will give better balance and security to the team. Scott Bain did well, and should keep possession of the jersey for the time being, he always impressed at Dundee. Also Hendry looks composed and could turn out to be a great acquisition.

Just loved the outcome on Sunday. HH to one and all.

13. leftclicktic on 13th March 2018 2:41 pm

Cheers

He’s doing alright…

14. This is off topic but it’s about a scam I think folk should be aware of.

A relative bought a new laptop last week with a McAfee anti virus subscription. He asked me to help set up his latop and install McAfee.

The McAfee package gave a Web site to visit to key in an activation code.

Code entered but it results in same screen. coming back.

No message to say code incorrect which should have been an “uh oh” to me but there is a chat window so I seek help.

They ask for phone number and lady phones to get access to laptop. As it’s brand new with no data on it and although my uh oh becomes hmm. I give access.

That fails so she says she will phone back.

Two mins later a guy phones back ostensibly from McAfee to take over. I do ask why lady didn’t return call but he starts to show me on laptop screen what the problem is taking me into a Windows services window that shows lots of services stopped. He then highlights two progs he says are trojans that will give hackers access. I’m thinking HMMM as Norton came pre installed on 30 day trial so how did they get there on a new machine.

He then explains they exist on the network as in not on laptop but added as soon as it linked to home network ( BT). So I ask why are they not guarding their network. He says they cannot but his company (that he had directed me to in order to see what was on the system ) could fix.

HMMM now on red alert when he posts up a cost of over £200!. On being told yer joking he pulls it down to the McAfee subscription price and changes screen to one where card details and amount get input.

AT this point I say I’ll check it out but if you give me an e mail I’ll get back to you to take up the offer. He hangs up.

I check for any new software added that day not recognisable and delete but advise relative to take laptop back to store to get refund on McAfee (he will stick with Norton) and explain why and check the laptop for malware. It was ok.

Store explains it is all an elaborate con when you go to activate subscription.

How elaborate is that when I was being pointed to the Windows services stopped and the trojans I was not looking into my laptop but a mock screen! Talk about deception! Could have been Regan I was talking to.

I don’t know how I was taken to scam site. in first place.

Pretty sure I typed in correct URL from McAfee package but once there it was all an incredibly elaborate hoax to get card details.

So message is if anyone asks for access to your PC make absolutely certain who you are talking to before giving them anything to enable them to contact you.

Ask for their number and before phoning back check the number or Google for scams involving the product that necessitated contacting them.

If you get a wee “uh oh” at all heed it. We lost nothing but a couple of hours but it could have been a lot worse.

15. STARRY PLOUGH on 13TH MARCH 2018 11:24 AM

Celtic central defence is an unforgiving place, ask Efe and a host of others, we’ve been blessed over the years with some great players in there but the list of daddies who played in there is a long one:))

*didnae know that LG was a central defender. Couldnae resist that lol

16. Dena29

He announced on the prog. Said he read out The Celtic Story to his son as he was being born. Now that’s a proper Tim.:-)) HH

17. Paul67

Think it’ll be all change over the summer.

Would imagine we’d listen to offers for Jozo Simunovic and Dedryk Boyata supposing there were any.

Kriss Ajer, and Jack Henry here for the long haul Compper is like Dorus DeVries

IMHO making up numbers.

We’ll need to decide on how we develop the RB position, especially for Europe, when weed need to play a back four.

As of Sunday we’ll be beginning to think about how much we’d like Odsonne, and for how much?

Then there will be the annual Dembele sale?

Looking forward to Team 2

18. I like John McGinn a lot.

As I do McGeoch, Scott Allan and Christie.

Could any of them improve the current celtic midfield ? Potentially, but it would take something special from any of them.

Some numpty called clyde the other night to let them know that John McGinn is the best scottish midfielder since Murdo (i kid you not).

I was trying to find out who it might be.

19. WeefratheTim on 13th March 2018 3:05 pm

Cheers

he did really well …..

proper tim indeed

20. Do they love Loch Lomond?

Naw! Then they canny come.

Tradition-excuse-list

MWD looking for likes. If you dont like then a lick will do.

21. I take it young Ralston,the right back,not good enough,I hope Christie comes back in the Summer,O Donnell,right back with Killie,is ok

22. John McGinn fascinates me.

Actually, truth be told, the ongoing battle between John McGinn’s upper body and gravity is what fascinates me.

He’ll do ok-ish in the English Championship.

McGeouch is a more composed footballer IMO.

23. I don’t think McGinn is, or ever will be, good enough to improve Celtic.

He is an ok player but with a propensity to tackle and go to ground in a fashion not conducive to modern European football and certainly not to be tolerated by a footballer wearing the hoops in Scotland.

Eurochamps67

24. Eurochamps67

Agreed, he is one for the blood-and-thunder/kick-and-rush enthusiasts…

25. STARRY PLOUGH on 13TH MARCH 2018 2:05 PM

27 he is now yeah, I tried look at players in their mid to late twenties as I feel that it’s the kind of position where we would need a bit of nouse of the positional side of the game. Kinda similar to profiles to what big Lustig had when he first joined. Mid-twenties, experience of international/European football and experience of winning things.

I was very impressed with Lang in the two matches Basel played against Man City recently.

26. SOUTH OF TUNIS on 13TH MARCH 2018 2:08 PM

He certain was a Legia player at that time so every chance it was him. An extra 2k a week wages for him them :)