Gerrard building his own gallows

I indulged in a bit of radio call-in listening last night to hear how the other side are dealing with their recent implosion.  Blame flows in all directions when aspirational clubs win nothing and perspective is difficult to find.

Steven Gerrard is in his second season as a manager, most of his players have won little or nothing in their careers.  As a club, this is only their second season playing two games a week for months on end.  Contrast this to Celtic, which has years of corporate learning ingrained into the fabric of Lennoxtown.

Celtic know what work to do at the margins to ensure players can deliver at the weekend as well as on European duty.  They learned this through many seasons of fine-tuning.  They know what training and rest is required, what nutrition works best and how to motivate players to continue to achieve.

It is usually fans who have not kicked a ball for decades that accuse players of not trying or caring enough when they suffer a bad result against a weaker team.  In fact, football is far more nuanced.  Players are not machines and never will be.  Get the preparation 10% wrong and even the best are liable to lose.

It is the manager’s job to know this and to find the words to explain what went wrong, while keeping an eye on the next challenge.  Steven Gerrard is not alone in expressing his despair at players’ inconsistencies, but in doing so, he is building his own gallows.  Leave that chat to those who only know how to shout from this sides, but know nothing about dominating an opponent on the field.

It has been a while, but you and I have seen things go wrong at Celtic, as they will do again.  When it happens, don’t be like Steven and his ‘The players are not good enough” fans.  Newco players are, in fact, performing well above reasonable expectations.  That they will forever struggle to win a trophy is not their fault.

1. Hi Bhoys

More or Less has apoligised to thems

“I understand that people inside and outside the club are disappointed that I let them down,” Morelos said.

“It was never my intention to do so. Everyone at Rangers and the fans have given me so much love that I’m so grateful for and I just want to show everyone on the pitch how much Rangers means to me.”

I wonder who done the translating?

KEEP THE FAITH

2. TUESDAY 3RD MAY 1981

I’m feeling exceptionally well today. (It’s only the third day, I know, but all the same I’m feeling great.) I had a visit this morning with two reporters, David Beresford of The Guardian and Brendan O Cathaoir of The Irish Times. Couldn’t quite get my flow of thoughts together. I could have said more in a better fashion.

63 kgs today, so what?

A priest was in. Feel he’s weighing me up psychologically for a later date. If I’m wrong I’m sorry — but I think he is. So I tried to defuse any notion of that tonight. I think he may have taken the point. But whether he accepts it, will be seen. He could not defend my onslaught on Bishop Daly — or at least he did not try.

I wrote some notes to my mother and to Mary Doyle in Armagh; and will write more tomorrow. The boys are now all washed. But I didn’t get washed today. They were still trying to get men their first wash.

I smoked some ‘bog-rolled blows’ today, the luxury of the Block!

They put a table in my cell and are now placing my food on it in front of my eyes. I honestly couldn’t give a damn if they placed it on my knee. They still keep asking me silly questions like, ‘Are you still not eating?’

I never got started on my poem today, but I’ll maybe do it tomorrow. The trouble is I now have more ideas.

Got papers and a book today. The book was Kipling’s Short Stories with an introduction of some length by W. Somerset Maugham. I took an instant dislike to the latter on reading his comment on the Irish people during Kipling’s prime as a writer: ‘It is true that the Irish were making a nuisance of themselves.’ Damned too bad, I thought, and bigger the pity it wasn’t a bigger nuisance! Kipling I know of, and his Ulster connection. I’ll read his stories tomorrow.

Ag rá an phaidrín faoi dhó achan lá atá na buachaillí anois. Níl aon rud eile agam anocht. Sin sin. (Translated this reads as follows: The boys are now saying the rosary twice every day. I have nothing else tonight. That’s all.)

3. macjay1 for Neil Lennon on

Saturday 21 March 1981

item mark Tomás Ó Fiaich, then Catholic Primate of Ireland, issued a statement calling upon the Irish Republican Army (IRA) to end its use of violence.

4. Macjay,

What Is the point of your post, is it in some way meant to counter Hamilton Tim’s Commemoration of Bobby Sands. If so then both you and your post are pathetic.

If there is some other logical reason for it, please let us know.

All of us know our History, throughout our struggle the Catholic Church frequently denounced physical violence and that includes the War of Independence in the 20s etc.

Even whilst the Official Church was condemning & even excommunicating members of the Old IRA, many other priests were active on the ground supporting the IRA.

The first action of the War of Independence took place in Soloheadbeg the then Parish Priest of Tipperary Monsignor Ryan denounced & condemned it. 100 years later on the Centenary Commemoration the celebrations started with a Mass celebrated by the Arch Bishop of Cashel Monsignor O’Reilly.

So what does that tell us Monsignor Ryan or Monsignor O’Reilly take your pick.

5. macjay1 for Neil Lennon on

CORKCELT on 3RD MARCH 2020 7:44 PM

Macjay,

If there is some other logical reason for it, please let us know.

===================================================================================

Perhaps a good time for you to ask Hamilton Tim the logical reason for his post……..

on a CELTIC blog.

In fact why did you not do so.

Double standards perhaps.

I look forward to viewing his reply .

6. Corkcelt

Hamilton throws this grenade (pardon the pun) into a football blog every year.

If he doesn’t want a reaction he shouldn’t do it. I’m sure he is able to debate it or take criticism or he would post on an Irish political website.

7. we know the league is won when if is mathematically impossible for another crowd to get more points than us, don’t listen to all this media chat re league is now over nonsense that they are spreading ,they want me/you to fall flat on our faces, keep our focus on the next game/s and you can bet you’re bottom dollar we will let everybody know when the league is over.

8. Macjay, For many years now commencing on the day Bobby began his Hunger Strike, Excerpts from his Diary of the Hunger Strike have been posted. I think originally by Ard Mhaca and continued on by Hamilton Tim after Ard Mhaca left the Blog.

I cannot remember anybody previously objecting. Obviously Paul is OK with it and so are the vast majority of the Blog.

There may be a few like you who feel it’s out of place but they realise the sensitivities and the emotion that Bobby & his comrades still invoke in those of us who support the Irish Republican Cause and have the good grace to leave us have our little commemoration in peace.

9. HT,

keep up the good work, I look forward to you sharing the Diaries every year. It is a great remembrance of those brave men.

thanks for doing that.

10. macjay1 for Neil Lennon on

CORKCELT on 3RD MARCH 2020 8:03 PM

So , you will be understanding about commemorating the murder of civilians at the hands of the IRA .

Two young Aussies who were murdered in Bruges ………because they had short hair and were driving cars with UK number plates ?

The Birmingham pub bombing another example.

And ” allow ” me to have my little commemoration of the British squadies who died at the hands of the IRA ?

Fair`s fair.

That fine with you ?

BTW. In the Catholic Church of the day , committing suicide was a mortal Sin.

As a Catholic , you would surely be aware of that . No ?

11. Commemorate whatever you like Macjay.

Bobby Sands was convicted of arms possession and got 5 years imprisonment, he has no conviction for injuring or murdering anyone.

We all know the horrors of war and we are all happy that it is over & never want to see it return.

Britain honours it’s war dead and we honour ours.

As Buddy Holly sang, You go your way and I’ll go mine.

12. macjay1 for Neil Lennon on

CORKCELT on 3RD MARCH 2020 8:21 PM

I honour ” yours ” too.

Wouldn`t expect you to believe that.

But, NOTHING to do with Celtic FC.

That`s the issue.

13. “on a celtic blog”

from a guy who posts more drivel on any subject whatsoever more than he ever does about “the celtic”

away and boil yir heid.

14. I think St. Stivs emphatically answered your last post .

I would say you are the Blog Leader in non Celtic Posts.

15. FAVOURITE UNCLE on

MACJAY1 FOR NEIL LENNON on 3RD MARCH 2020 8:28 PM

NO british empire no innocent people die.

16. macjay1 for Neil Lennon on

SAINT STIVS on 3RD MARCH 2020 8:26 PM

I support Celtic FC who do not support association with the IRA.

Leave your politics at the door.

Of . CQN.

I will if you will .

17. SAINT STIVS on 3RD MARCH 2020 8:26 PM

“on a celtic blog”

away and boil yir heid.

👍

18. rpmcelticfan on

Thank you Macjay when will people except that Celtic is a club open to all , when posters refer to WE It is usually not inclusive but just there own opinion , thankfully we have Macjay and Canolamar to remind us of the breadth of the Celtic support . Hail hail to all who love the hoops :)

19. macjay1 for Neil Lennon on

FAVOURITE UNCLE on 3RD MARCH 2020 8:30 PM

MACJAY1 FOR NEIL LENNON on 3RD MARCH 2020 8:28 PM

NO british empire no innocent people die.

=================================================

Oh , aye.

British and Irish Empire.

1815 Battl;e of Waterloo won by that famous Irishman , the Duke of Wellington.

20. If I have a spare hour tomorrow, I migh s do a CQNBYNUMBERS bit of analytics on the previous topic.

Its a gut feeling just now , but I am expecting more than 70% of the posts were not celtic related.

and of these half were posted by one person.

and then there is the random statistical outlier of someone getting multiple birthday wishes (that might be a bug planted by the russians, chinese, north korea, or the ultrabears).

conspirancytheorycsc.

21. macjay1 for Neil Lennon on

RPMCELTICFAN on 3RD MARCH 2020 8:35 PM

I would love Celtic to be ACCEPTABLE to all.

IRA chants alienate us from many of the Scottish population.

CELTIC …………………..A combination of Scottish and Irish Kelts .

22. FAVOURITE UNCLE on

MACJAY1 FOR NEIL LENNON on 3RD MARCH 2020 8:35 PM

Are you allowed to talk in your house.expert on everything .well everything right wing.

Do you fancy priti patel .

23. macjay1 for Neil Lennon on

SAINT STIVS on 3RD MARCH 2020 8:37 PM

you never will leave your politics at the door, its your reason for posting,

=========================================================

But only in your opinion .

24. Saint Stivs, I think it was Mental Mick, ACGR who started the Happy Birthday craic, it’s well gone it’s sell by date by now.

25. non celtic post – oh that wellington, tomorrow night, as the night unfolds i am expecting an explanation for the misunderstood Lord Trevelyn

——————–

His biographer Lawrence James wrote of him: “Neither he nor his kin ever considered themselves as Irish. . .The Anglo-Irish aristocracy had nothing in common with the indigenous, Gaelic-speaking and Catholic Irish whom they despised and distrusted.”

In 1807 Wellington betrayed his true feelings towards the country of his birth in a letter to the then Home Secretary Lord Hawkesbury: “I am positively convinced that no political measure which you could adopt would alter the temper of the people of this country. They are disaffected to the British Government; they don’t feel the benefits of their situation; attempts to render it better either do not reach their minds, or they are represented to them as additional injuries; and in fact we have no strength here but our army. Surely it is incumbent upon us to adopt every means which can secure the position and add to the strength of our army.”

Wellington did not see himself as Irish because being Irish meant by definition being disloyal to the Crown. “Show me an Irishman and I’ll show you a man whose anxious wish it is to see his country independent of Great Britain”.

26. FAVOURITE UNCLE on

IRA chants alienate us from many of the Scottish population.

Being irish, catholic,clever ,good looking,generous and for putting an end to their empire might also fit in there.

27. Corkcelt, I do know, it is funny though, and they are a pair of rascals, but if its getting on your nerves , I for one will decist.

28. prestonpans bhoys on

Edinburgh derby doing what it’s good at, a poor game, not according to BT though must be something in their tea😵😱

29. Anyone who decides, defines or expects what a Celtic fan should believe , vote or be offended by is a fascist

The assumption that all Celtic fans have a tick list of beliefs or morals is arrogant in the extreme

Not all Celtic fans are what huns expect us to be. Having to point this out to fellow Celtic fans every time the PIRA comments come up is sad and tiresome

30. macjay1 for Neil Lennon on

SAINT STIVS on 3RD MARCH 2020 8:41 PM

How many Irishmen fought to defend the British Empire in W.W.1 ?

Your starter for….well…..