Idah and the long wait until 31 August


Settle in for a long summer of uncertainty over the future of Adam Idah (23).  His club, Norwich failed to win promotion, sacked their manager and are braced for interest in US international striker Josh Sargent (24).  Sargent has four years left on his deal but is one of the top strikers left in the Championship.

Norwich are unlikely to agree to an early sale of Sargent.  He is the kind of player who could attract a bid in late August, so if you were Norwich, would you let his understudy go earlier?

Without Adam, I don’t think Celtic would have won the league this year.  It is so rare to bring a young player in and see him deliver right from the off.  But if you are Norwich, why would you sell him a day before 31 August?

I hope I’m wrong, but the timescales Norwich are operating in and when Celtic will want to sign a striker don’t look like they will overlap.  There is a 50% chance of this deal not happening, a 40% chance it happens late August, and no more than a 10% chance it happens earlier.

Click Here for Comments >

About Author

  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3

  1. Monday so soon?



    Dortmund reminded me of us in the first half. Chances not taken.

  2. Go tell the Spartim on

    I concur we wouldn’t have one the double without Adam, it would all depend on the transfer fee, I would spend £5m on him though.



    There were many contributors to our double, it’s very much a squad game and Adam as third choice striker would be fine.

  3. glendalystonsils on

    If we do sign Idah and it turns out to be last minute , he should at least have a good pre season under his belt


    He’s familiar with the way the team plays and his role within it ,both these things (the fitness and the integration) are not always the case with our new signings.


    The only problem might be that we are light on strikers in the early part of the season , particularly if we let Oh go . A bit of a dilemma

  4. The Battered Bunnet on

    Adam Idah was a very effective loan signing and has a lot of qualities. I don’t think though that he’s quite good enough to be our main attacking focal point in the same way Dembele and then Edouard were during BR’s first stint. Similar player mind, and a talented boy who delivered for us in fine style.

  5. I agree that that if we do sign Idah it will be around the end of the window.



    In fact, it may well be that all our “quality” signings are at the end of the window as both the players and their clubs will be hedging their bets to get the best deal.

  6. I really hope we have the bulk of our new (good quality) signings, in the early part of the transfer window. We shouldnt be waiting in hope that we will secure Idah at the end of August.

  7. Celtic cannot be at the mercy of other clubs we have CL football to prepare for if Norwich won’t sell move on otherwise we will have kyogo forrest and maeda for the main striker position oh and Johnny kenny

  8. O today to be in Glendalough


    With the blackbird in palm



    On the feast of St Kevin

  9. justshatered on

    As much as I liked Idah, timing is everything.


    If he isn’t available on the time frame we want then we move on to our next person on the list.


    I would hope there is a list and that Idah wasn’t the first name on it in January. After all we were told we tried to sign the boy from Denmark but couldn’t get it done in January.


    To put all our eggs in the Idah basket could leave us terribly short if, at the end of the window, if Norwich refuse to sell.


    If he still wants to come in January or next summer then we can always go back for him. Remember the reason he came to us was because he couldn’t get a game with them.

  10. Idah is a very decent player,


    He is a nice guy, a non drinker, naturally fit and he gets Celtic.



    He is not a lethal finisher in the Dembele mode but would be a great back up and imo worth a punt at 5 Million,



    However Norwich hold all the aces and we need to plan for next Season without Idah,


    If there is a late breakthrough that will be a bonus.

  11. Bournesouprecipe



    Would you know if there is a cqn golf tourney this year? Had a few asking,and i wouldnt know which end to hold a club never mind where it is :-))




  12. Not exactly sure how the EFL parachute/solidarity payments work these days, and anyways think a new system kicks in 2025/26, but I might be right that Norwich City are on their third and last season entitled to any such payments albeit a reduced one. Could work in our favour, the Canaries are not quite on the breadline, sell Adam Idah early doors, and make funds available for the new manager and his new approach. Celtic may well be his preference now, along with his involvement with the Republic, could be the best way forward for him. If that is the scenario Norwich might find they are not holding all the aces.

  13. GlassTwoThirdsFull on

    If we want to sign him put in a bid for him. If it’s accepted, fine. If not move on to somebody else.


    Nice to see a Celtic article btw – keep them coming

  14. bournesouprecipe on




    Hope you’re well nice to see you and your mate on flag day. No idea what’s happened to the gowf, games a bogey it seems.

  15. bournesouprecipe on




    When there is was no option to buy in the loan deal contract we’re at the mercy of Norwich and presumably their new manager. Imagine he’ll take the summer to decide, as most managers would.

  16. When you see the dilemma facing Steve Clarke re the same position we have to ask ourselves whatever happened to the goalscoring Scottish forward of yesteryear? Lets face it Lyndon Dykes was playing for Livingstone before signing for QPR, which leaves Che Adams and Lawrence Shankland who at least has been finding the net the last couple of seasons. We’ll almost certainly have to call up Tommy Conway from Bristol City to replace the phyisicality of Dykes. In short there are no Scottish options for Celtic in the short term unless Brendan can persuade Vata* that there is a future for him with us. Although he is another one who seems to think his agent has helped develop him and not Celtic FC.



    *Plays for Ireland at Youth level

  17. bigrailroadblues on

    Good afternoon all from the Victoria Bar. Early start for Dublin tomorrow so I’ll try to be home by midnight. It’s a hard life.

  18. !!BADA BING!! on 3RD JUNE 2024 3:01 PM


    Scotland v Gibraltar Premier Sports at 5




    its also on VIAPLAY I believe ?…Programme starts at 4.30pm

  19. bigrailroadblues on

    If I don’t get a sb for this season I’m storming the Bastille. Or eating a fruit pastille.

  20. By Celtic Football Club






    28 May 2024, 10:59 am


    Celtic will take on Scott Brown’s Ayr United this summer in a pre-season friendly – get your ticket now!



    The Bhoys will head to Somerset Park on Friday, July 5, with the game kicking off at 7:45pm. The match will mark the opening of AUFC’s new North Stand and will be the first time in 25 years that the Hoops have played in Ayr.






    It’s set to be a fantastic game for all the family, with the former Celtic captain managing Ayr United against his old team.





    Adult – £20


    Concession – £15 (Over 65s, Disabled, Ambulant and Students)


    Juvenile – £15 (13-17-years-old)


    Child – £8 (Under 13s)


    If any disabled/ambulant supporters require a carer, they can obtain a free carer ticket by calling the AUFC Club Shop on 01292 263435 (option 5).



    Tickets are available for the Railway End (terracing behind the goal) and West Stand (seating & standing).



    Supporters must have a ticket or they will not be permitted entry to the stadium. Tickets must be purchased online in advance of the match and there will not be any cash gates in operation at Somerset Park.




  21. Before we forget things Brendan improved last season – AJ final delivery to the box


    – GT started to win his fair share of headers


    – Liam


    – MoR pulled back and in , making us harder to play through and lots of assists and goals


    – Kyogo on the better pitches dropping short and playing ball behind for runners


    – Adam

  22. bigrailroadblues on

    I hope Almore told his family that Mulligans and the Palace Bar don’t close until 1am.🤔


    On Thursday. 🤣

  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3