Lions, first treble after 50 years of darkness

With the Lisbon Lions ‘acting in concert’, as is often the case in Glasgow football circles these days, I hope Celtic plan to mark the 50th anniversary of another of their achievements this Saturday. The St Johnstone game marks 50 years to the day the Lions won Celtic’s very first treble.

A Bobby Lennox goal won the League Cup against Rangers on 29 October 1966, before two Willie Wallace goals took the Scottish Cup on 29 April 1967. The treble was completed at Ibrox, when Jimmy Johnstone scored twice to secure the point Celtic required.

Given the 50 years that we have enjoyed since that season, it is unimaginable to believe that this was the first occasion Celtic retained the league title for exactly 50 years. Last doing so with a win at Dumbarton on 7 April 1917.

It has been said here often before, but it cannot be overestimated what Jock Stein and the Lions did for Celtic. The European Cup and nine-in-a-row are merely the headlines. The titles are trophies you have enjoyed since are the substance. The story would more resemble that dark half century without retaining a league, without them.  When the club and New Balance launch next season’s strips later today, they homage they will pay to the men of ’67 is fully merited.

Thank you to all who have sponsored me for the Celtic Foundation. I’m running the Stirling Marathon on 21 May. I know there are a million demands on you but all support is appreciated.

Season_DVDofferAULDWALLACE2

1. The Green Man says SACK THE Board on

Morning Celts

Goading….ffs, is that not just pathetic and typical of huns.

I remember when i was a kid, when we were thrashing the local huns, they would stop the game and take their ‘ball’ back.

They are still the same:)

Feeble idiots.

2. I see that Bad ernie lynch is bringing politics onto the blog again this morning :-)

P.S.- Apologies to An Tearman for the “temporary SNP” jibe- I had mixed you up with other non-SNP but pro-Independence supporters who did announce their intention to vote SNP. Full apologu offered.

3. The Green Man says SACK THE Board on

SFTB

I hope you wont be doing that Labour electioneering again today:)

Leave ‘wee nicola’ alone., she is a wonderful person, a bit like Hilary:)

4. BOBBY MURDOCH'S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS on

BIGJIMMY

Aye,Labour took a pasting from the tories in England,less so in Wales.

They lost Merthyr to independents,who were mainly former Labour councillors deselected after a local internal row. Good planning,that(!)

They lost Blaenau Gwent also to independents-over a row about recycling bins-the residents wanted to use (non-recyclable) plastic bags!

Overall,not a good time to be a Labour voter. And much worse to come in Scotland. Polloing less than the tories anywhere is bad enough. In Scotland,well,I could cry,mate.

5. BOBBY MURDOCH'S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS on

SEANTHORNTON

A stray swearie?

Pardonable,given the subject!

6. Leaving aside the politics, I heard on Radio Scotland this morning that a case had been dismissed re a gamekeeper killing a hen harrier because RSPB were not allowed to make use of their video and aidio recordings in court. ( I looked for a written report on this but cannot find it)

Do any of our legal beagles think this will affect Craig WHyte’s ability to defend himself? Will the Charlotte Fakes stuff be deemed inadmissable?

7. The Green Man says SACK THE Board on

SFTB

I wouldnt vote for any of them…..all Stepford Wives to me.

Wee Nicola, Willie Rennie, Roof and wee David, Kezia…..all mugs in my book.

Guy Fawkes had the right idea:)

8. South Of Tunis on

” David Cameron thought that the Brexit referendum would do two things — create unity in the Conservative Party and get UKIP off his back . Last night’s results suggest he succeeded.. Might be the only thing he ever got right .”

Italian radio -5 5 17.

9. ernie lynch on

SETTING FREE THE BEARS FOR RES. 12 & OSCAR KNOX on 5TH MAY 2017 8:49 AM

‘Leaving aside the politics, I heard on Radio Scotland this morning that a case had been dismissed re a gamekeeper killing a hen harrier because RSPB were not allowed to make use of their video and aidio recordings in court. ( I looked for a written report on this but cannot find it)’

###

The details are here.

10. The Green Man says SACK THE Board on

And what is hilarious to watch, is how the rest of the parties cannot cope with the repetitive stupidity from May.

Its the politics of idiots.

Strong and Stable Government….Coalition of Chaos….repeat to fade.

Its laughable, yet nobody can lay a glove on Teresa May, who happens to be one of the least able to debate.

Its beyond a joke.

Tory numpties run the country……and nobody can challenge them.

Its really easy for the Tories, so easy.

11. ernie

I would ask the same question asked in the comments section of the link:-

if the courts have used RSPB film footage before now , and they have, why not this time? what is the difference???

Has someone influenced this trend or is there anew legal ruling on the point?

I will catch replies later- work is starting

12. Hamiltontim on

“Our revenge will be the laughter of our children”.

Bobby Sands 5th May 1981 RIP

13. BOBBY MURDOCH'S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS on

SEANTHORNTON

As I said,pardonable in my view. Certainly no apology necessary to me!

14. ernie lynch on

SETTING FREE THE BEARS FOR RES. 12 & OSCAR KNOX on 5TH MAY 2017 8:59 AM

The admissibility will depend of the particular circumstances of each case.

As I recall the previous case where footage was allowed was a bit of an outlier, the sheriff had retired and was acting as a temp, and had maybe got a bit demob happy.

Either way the issue is a scandal. The answer is to license all shooting estates, and there is a petition before the Scottish Parliament at the moment calling for this to be done. Whether that progresses or not will depend on a political call by the SNP as to whether that will help or hinder their own political agenda.

15. Greenpinata on

Did the trigger happy country ” Gent” who shot the pet dog ever get his just desserts, or even taken to task. ?

HH.

16. ernie lynch on

GREENPINATA on 5TH MAY 2017 9:31 AM

####

Do you mean the farmer who shot the dog that was running wild among his livestock?

17. Greenpinata on

As politics has previously been introduced to the blog this morning :-

Does anybody seriously think that the SNP are not right wing in the former Tory constituencies and left wing in the socialist heartlands.

An opportunist hat to fit all occasions or more faces than the town hall clock.

I guess truth will out, eventually,

HH.

18. Good morning from a beautiful sunny north staffs – cleaning out the moss from the block paving – deep joy.

I suggest labour bring back ‘things can only get better’ or perhaps a Corbyn version of the Scottie Sinclair song.

If Scotland really want independence then give the English a vote in indy2 ref – it would be a landslide :))

Anyway lots to do

19. The Green Man says SACK THE Board on

People who claim to love animals, then shoot as many of them as they can:)

20. O.G.Rafferty on

James Doleman‏ @jamesdoleman 3m3 minutes ago

”The agreement specifies that Whyte invest £5m per year in the “squad of football players maintained by the company. Agreement goes on that in the event of an insolvency event the same obligation would apply to any “successor entity”

Successor entity?

Oh.

Dear.

21. Hunderbirds are Gone on

A STOR MHA CHROI on 5TH MAY 2017 8:29 AM

Thanks for posting that. I enjoyed reading that.

Aside from our impressive factual football history, the tale of Celtic really is so rich in human stories. I was reminded in reading that, of the Muhamed Salin story. Both brave, strong men who adorn our magical club with a sprinkling of the exotic in very different times.

22. A Eton tory landslide in election will play intae snp hands.

Scotland disnae want thatcher mk2!.

Independence a certainty.

It’s coming.

23. BOBBY MURDOCH’S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS on 5TH MAY 2017 8:44 AM

BIGJIMMY

Aye,Labour took a pasting from the tories in England,less so in Wales.

BMCUWP,

I could weep into my Red Flag mate.

I posted on here a couple of days ago, that as far as I was aware, every party were Hypocrites…and I haven’t ( so far ) read anyone on here disagree with my post ?

I have posted in recent times my gripes with labour, labour Councillors, labour MP’S etc. ( especially with their lack of support of my situation over recent years )..I will not be doing so on here again. I’ve said my piece on that topic.

i am a very simple man who believes whether it’s in Life, in Marriage..or on a Football Pitch….IF something is clearly NOT working then CHANGE IT !

A strong Labour Party would have Theresa May and her mob on toast …in the past…sadly those days appear to have gone especially at a National level.

I can only compare The present Tories and of course BREXIT….with that horrible day back in 1979 when a certain Maggie Thatcher won the general Election, and to this very day people and families are STILL suffering the whole “Domino Effect” of her stinking, Capitalist Policies.

Finally, being a very simple man I cannot for the life of me figure out why The Welsh are embracing the Tories at ANY level, have the majority of Welsh folk FORGOTTEN who destroyed their Mining Communities, Family’s and their whole way of life ?

Perhaps I already know the answer, as according to what I have been reading and hearing in recent months, is that Labour Controlled Councils in Wales, are apparently letting the people down with NHS, Education etc in Wales ?

Great Labour men like John Smith ( RIP)….will be turning in their grave at how weak Labour have become….I share that sadness.

HH mate.

24. 50 shades of green on

Just catching up with the blog and couldn’t help myself.

Scott Brown,

The man who stares at goat ( sha@@ers ).

25. 6 Celtic players in Team of the Year (Lustig, Tierney, Brown, Armstrong, Dembele and Sinclair), 4 Aberdeen (Logan, McLean, Hayes and Lewis), and 1 Thistle (Lindsay)

26. A STOR MHA CHROI on 5TH MAY 2017 8:29 AM

Yes , I do remember many years ago becoming aware of some of the story behind Gil Heron.

Celtic played a Blinder.

27. BOBBY MURDOCH'S CURLED-UP WINKLEPICKERS on

BIGJIMMY

Pretty much on the button as usual,mate. A crying shame,as the people who can least fight for themselves have no-one to turn to

And the tories take a special pleasure in kicking a man when he is down,as many are finding out.

Btw,some really good advice from you to AURORABOREALIS earlier. Well done,that man!

28. cathedral view on

SETTING FREE THE BEARS FOR RES. 12 & OSCAR KNOX on 5TH MAY 2017 8:49 AM

The tweet below by James Doleman from the start of the trial may help you, I found it an unusual thing for her to say at the time but I’m no legal expert.

Conversation

James Doleman @jamesdoleman

Lady Stacey tells the jury no-one can tell either the Crown or the defence what evidence they can put before them

#whytetrial

3:07 pm · 20 Apr 2017

6 RETWEETS

7 LIKES

29. iki

just had same message from ebid.

Absolutely gutted if it is as i thought bottle was mine!!

hh

30. Can’t the Labour Party just go into liquidation……come back as “New Labour” with 500 Million supporters….wait a minute wasn’t that tried already ?

The Present Labour Party getting gubbed by The Present Tories….is just like The feckin Huns/Sevco/Newco beating Glasgow Celtic at fitba….it SHOULD NOT be happening but….

31. SEAN THORNTON on 5TH MAY 2017 10:20 AM

‘A Eton tory landslide in election will play intae snp hands.’

###

Yet when it was reported that Sturgeon had said as much to a French diplomat the nats squealed like stuck pigs.

###

‘Scotland disnae want thatcher mk2!.’

No, but the nats do. ‘We didn’t mind the economic side’ Remember?