CRESTFALLEN Neil Lennon apologised to Celtic fans after his team’s wretched 1-0 defeat against struggling Ross County in Dingwall tonight.

The faltering champions were sent crashing to another embarrassing defeat against the Highlanders because of two utterly inexplicable misses from Odsonne Edouard and Ryan Christie – and their inability to defend a set-play.

Once again the dithering defence – with skipper Scott Brown largely to blame – allowed the opposition a free header from a left-wing free-kick and Jordan White buried his effort beyond a transfixed and exposed Scott Bain from six yards.

The visitors had the bulk of the possession, but appalling finishing cost them in the end as they toppled to their fourth Premiership loss of a miserable campaign.

YOUR MOVE…the advertising boarding says it all for Neil Lennon.

Relating to the Celtic supporters, Lennon said: “I am sorry. We let them down again. It’s not for the want of trying to win a game of football.

“So, we are bitterly disappointed.”

On the outcome of the game, the Hoops gaffer, speaking BBC Sportsound, said: “It’s a strange one. It encapsulates our season. It’s another poor goal from a set-piece. But I think we played well tonight and did enough to win the game.

“The goal is inexcusable. Our defenders don’t seem to want to defend this season. We do the work on the training pitch, but if the players don’t attack the ball there’s not much you can do.

“It’s been a running theme for us this season for whatever reason. It’s hugely damaging.”

FREE HEADER…Scott Brown stands still as Jordan White leapsa to thump in the winner.

Despite the horrendous defeat, Lennon maintained his stance that he wants to continue to lead Celtic.

Asked about his future, he answered: “So far I’ve not been told anything otherwise. I love this job, I love the club. This has been a difficult season, but you always want to rebuild and go again.”

The faltering champions are 18 points adrift with only eight games to play.

FOOTNOTE: Bobby Madden was forced to step down as referee for tonight’s match. No explantion was given at the time, but just before kick-off it was revealed the match official had been in the company of someone who had tested positive for Covid-19. David Munro took over.


Click Here for Comments >

About Author