Summer of the long Copa

Canada face Venezuela overnight in a game which if the South Americans lose, will see the final Celtic player break for the summer.  Even if Canada are eliminated in the small hours of Saturday morning, Alistair Johnston will have a short break before picking up for the new term.  Venezuela topped their group with maximum points, so will start favourites.

Celtic’s first competitive game is four weeks away, while the squad head to the USA in less than a fortnight.  Brendan Rodgers could be tempted to start the season with Anthony Ralston at right back to extend Johnston’s break.

Alistair has played every minute of Canada’s campaign, whereas Cameron Carter-Vickers Copa America experience with the USA was limited to one substitute appearance.  Neither will be properly rested for the new campaign, no matter how much extended leave Brendan allows.

9. ...

1. Red Bull Leipzig are one of the teams we’re trying to catch in Europe

I can just about remember Danny Olmo playing against us, he definitely wasn’t their best player

They signed him at 21 for £20m, they definitely could have signed a “better” player later in their career for that. He’s their best player now, just scored in the euros semi finals and will go for about 80m this window

2. That is the answer actually we need to find the 21 year old Germans Spanish English and Italians for 20 million each x5 and want to play in Scotland.

We did well to get jota Eddie and oriley but they never progressed us in Europe

Go figure

3. FOURSTONECOPPI

scrolled back to see who you were talking about

then mccoist opened hish moush on the commentary

I undershtand

4. CELTIC40ME on 5TH JULY 2024 6:16 PM

I don’t get it – If improving our European performance guarantees domestic success, and Sevco have the sort of record we are envious of why are they such a bunch of losers domestically?

——-

Because they are 12 years old and we had a huge financial advantage over them?

=======

CELTIC40ME on 5TH JULY 2024 6:27 PM

It’s clearly not something you’re able to get your head around but it is what they are trying to do. It’ seems like an unconventional approach, actually if you look at a lot of the progressive clubs around they also do something similar

Unfortunately we operate in a league where progressive thinking is not only anomaly, it’s seen as being absurd. Every other club underachieves pathetically in Europe but we stil see everyone doing the same thing year after year. The culture produces no young talent and a dreadful national team with a tactically constpated manager

Spending all your money on the best players you an afford is very simplistic, short-sighted and doesn’t suggest a progressive outlook

——-

There is nothing to get my head around it is very very simple. We are trying to do the bare minimum to stay ahead of Rangers because our primary goal is not to put the best team on the park it’s to make maximum profit from player trading.

Can you name another progressive club that has / had the Chairman’s son as head of recruitment? That only considers ex players or the sons of an ex manager for key positions? There is nothing progressive about this board.

I don’t see anyone suggesting we spend all our money. We are hoarding tens of millions, possibly over a £100 million, whilst the team is crying out for quality, and we’re replacing Jota with Yang and Palma.

I note you have nothing to say to my reply last night so I’ll ask again in case you want to pretend you never saw it.

5. Prestonpans bhoys on

From videocelts don’t even know Dede is

CELTIC: Bain, Dede, Welsh, Lagerbielke, Kobayashi, Tomoki, Ure, Holm, Kuhn, Kyle, Kyogo

SUBS: Oluwayemi, Clarke, Yang, Oh, Kwon, Lawal, Frame, Murray, Agbaire, Bonnar, Donovan, Hatton

6. Very common in Germany for explayers to make up the executive of the club

As long as they are qualified

7. Was Mark lawwell employed by his father ?

Was Strachan ?

All the coaches and staff they have their badges and degrees?

Who am I to suggest they are poor at their jobs.

Maybe John k got the job because his granda used to be the doorman.

8. No vata.

No haska.

Brendan’s arm being forced he will be gone by September

9. Good to see Dane Murray on the bench. Tough time for over a year with injuries. Well, I assume the Murray listed is Dane 😁

10. REGGIE

I’m sorry, I didn’t look at CQN last night, I was watching the election with my family and getting nicely drunk.

“Do you believe as Paul67 does (and as I do ) that Brendan Rodgers will be judged in September not May and by definition Europe not domestically?”

Sorry again, and I’m not being disingenuous but I don’t understand the question, or how it relates to what we’re talking about

11. Estadio Nacional

Was it yourself who shouted yesssss when harry kane missed his penalty in wotld cup in Qatar? Hi to BT

Enjoy

12. Reggie.

What do you mean by judging Brendan in September?

If it is Europe cl we will only have played one game

13. Tom McLaughlin on

Spanish diving and gamesmanship is an embarrassment now. Come on Germany.

14. !!Bada Bing!! on

Watch the positions the Spanish players take up,when they are in possession, absolutely brilliant,that’s a properly coached team

15. Just watching the Celtic game ….. is someone filming with their phone…. !!! Celtic TV !

16. CELTIC40ME on 5TH JULY 2024 7:21 PM

It would have taken less time to look back than copy and paste and reply to me.

=====

SAINT STIVS on 5TH JULY 2024 7:23 PM

You can ask your host since it was his comment.

It seems glaringly obvious you everyone he’s referring to Europe not domestic but if you want be pedantic then be my guest

17. Reggie.

Reading that Paul says Brendan can confound the critics by winning the league the cup and again by doing it in Europe in September.

What about it. Seems reasonable well until we see who the opponents are.

18. REGGIE on 5TH JULY 2024 7:50 PM

CELTIC40ME on 5TH JULY 2024 7:21 PM

It would have taken less time to look back than copy and paste and reply to me.

🤷