The need for two central defenders

Ange Postecoglou wasn’t there for the 2019 League Cup Final, or the late winner over Lazio Christopher Jullien scored a couple of months earlier, so the boss does not have the emotional attachment you and I have to Chris.  With Cameron Carter-Vickers due to return to Tottenham and Jullien having made only cameo appearances since his injury in December 2020, Celtic have vacancies two central defenders.

Cameron was out best performing defender in a season which saw the defence resolve the legacy issues it carried into the campaign.  If we can get him at the suggested £6m, he is excellent value, even if add-ons and sell-on fees suppress the notion we are getting a bargain.

At 29, Christopher is still young enough to earn two lucrative contracts, but only if he plays football next season.  I am sure his agent has been given the green light to find a deal, with Celtic scouting a replacement to push Cameron and Carl Starfelt for a starting place.

I would like to see a central defender who can break the lines in the way Kristoffer Ajer did – the taller the better.  Next season is going to be difficult, securing out top performers is only part of the answer.

1. Cue the “Personally I was not keen on Jullien” brigade getting in on the act.Would not recognise a good CH,in a Chimps ID parade.Clueless.

2. WorthingBhoy on

Julian might or might not be a good centre half. It looks like Ange has decided that he’s not good enough to play that position for Celtic and the system that we play, that’s good enough for me.

John

3. An Tearmann.

I saw your post regarding the Jinky memorabilia.

I sent an email to P67 on 21/05 requesting your email address but no reply from him as yet.

I’ll post the memorabilia as soon as I have your address.

4. TURKEYBHOY on 24TH MAY 2022 3:57 PM

I am not too interested in that kind of thing. How many constitutes a brigade?

5. FRED COLON on 24TH MAY 2022 4:27 PM

An Tearmann.

I saw your post regarding the Jinky memorabilia.

I’ll post the memorabilia as soon as I have your address.

===============

Paul has an old one Fred..

Cheers Fred.

Are you in Glasgow? Know Almore? Marc crc?

6. I thought Julien was a very decent centre half and a threat at Corners & set pieces,

Injuries are very strange, I know lads whose careers were finished from injuries that others recovered from,.

Dubai was a disaster, we should not have gone their in middle of Pandemic, of all the players, Julien certainly should not have gone he was out with long term injury, I doubt he sneaked out to a night Club on crutches.

However obviously he did not train so must have been hanging around a bit more than the rest which improved his chances of getting Covid ,

Anyhow it does appear that for whatever reason Ange does not want him so hopefully we can offload him & get a bit of money back.

Our Reserve Centre half options Welsh is 22 & Dane Murray & Bosun Lawal are 18 turning 19 shortly,

I think Lawal is more of a midfielder than a centre half but in any case I can’t see either him or Dane Murray featuring to any great extent next Season,

If Julien goes & Bitton who could cover gone as well , we will need to prioritise that area of defense.

Absolutely essential we sign CCV on permanent deal plus another top centre half.

Welsh is still developing. I would certainly want to hold on to him, I think he has a part to play next Season.

7. ah well the £10m + wages we spent on big Julie and boli boli can just be written off.

8. Welsh is ok ,but tends to give fouls and bookings,so not for me ,Changes are needed for next season’s campaign,a Goalkeeper,definitely a centre half ,a midfielder,another versatile back .

9. How much did we get on winning the league,also what do you reckon the club have in revenues ,if we sign Jota and Carter Vickers that’s about £15 million,so if Ange wants to bring in another few players,how much will the club give him ?

10. BIG WAVY on 24TH MAY 2022 1:40 PM

very very good rational and accurate on CJ contribution.

11. !!Bada Bing!! on

Celtic signed Kyogo… GG… O’Riley… Maeda and Juranovic for less than the fee we got for Frimpong,in Ange we trust

12. In Ange’s system, the CHs have to be able to pass; press up; tackle aggressively and work the offside and set piece system

Sounds a lot but with good and, crucially, consistent coaching; it works

When we turned over possession, both our CHs got involved in closing space and the FBs bust a gut to cover

The step back/step up , mini offside trap worked a treat. Only failure was vs Hearts recently

I liked the passing and stepping forward this season and don’t understand the pining for Ajer’s fjords.

Ajer was a good player but his runs were like the Bear back in the day. Loved when he did it but usually it was desperate when we were losing

Pleased for Ajer that he is a big RB/RCH for Brentford now. Win, win

13. I imagine a deal will be done for Jota & CCV for a structured payment schedule,

We won’t have to fork out 12/13 Million all at once,

Hopefully we will recoup some of this on Ajeti, Barkas, Soro, Julien & Bolli.

We have a decent bit of cash to come in between Oz trip & Group Stage Champions League,

I trust Nicholson will see the need to speculate to accumulate.

This is a pivotal window we simply can’t afford any penny pinching this time around.

14. Meant to say; on defending set pieces- haven’t a clue how we fixed that

Over to the actual coaches on here to opine; we have a few

15. Corkcelt

Great point; financial obligations and cashflow (both ways) are very different in football these days; less debt acceptance and liabilities. Makes sense to me

Except; i read that Burnley were taken over with a leveraged deal and big balloon payment that could be called if relegated

If true, that means the buyers were ‘deadbeats’ and the club is in danger

Oh well, The Burnley it is

16. I put up a decent response on transfer dealings and how much is the club willing to give Ange in this transfer window,Low and behold that ignorant 31003 comes on and replies that I suffer from learning issues,personally he is not the only one that treats me with contempt.

17. CONEYBHOY on 24TH MAY 2022 6:56 PM

Meant to say; on defending set pieces- haven’t a clue how we fixed that

Over to the actual coaches on here to opine; we have a few

———–

the much maligned Celtic Lennoxtown staff have been given loads of kudos from Ange as being top class professionals and as good if not better than any he has worked with.

18. glendalystonsils on

CONEYBHOY on 24TH MAY 2022 7:07 PM

St. Augustine’s Embra , I believe .

19. An Tearmann.

I’m in ML5.

I don’t think I have met Almore or CRC.

However, I do have contact details for Lennybhoy and Scaniel – do you have their contact details.

Alternatively, you could get my details from P67

20. Fred Colon

I will text my lennybhoy my number and ask him to forward it to you Fred.If you wait til Thursday I could meet you at your local rail station.save you the cost of post?

Will text Kenny bhoy now

Hh

21. TIMBHOY163 on 24TH MAY 2022 7:14 PM

WTF are you talking about?

I was joking about the Celtic biscuit tin

22. Paul 67,

According to various ( unconfirmed) social media reports CCV has agreed personal terms with the Champions of Scotland.

I hope this is factual and CCV stays as our journey involves fruitful participation in the CL.

As for our second most expensive signing in our history. We don’t know the future.

What we do know. :- He was fit and was available for selection. He was never selected.

We have admirably fulfilled ( And more ) our legal obligation of duty of care to the player.

We explored all medical treatments in renowned centres of excellence and we even took him on a winter break when he was on crutches.

Now the obvious question is :- Does he want to and is he good enough for the Ange journey and does Ange want him.

Personally I do not envisage CJ participating in our future magical journey.

HH.

23. Timbhoy163

Apologies with the reading difficulties post. That was out of order

My initial post was not to get at you, it was a take on the biscuit tin mentality of a few years back.

You’ll know I meant £1. 1s. 1d

Said in a Glasgow’60s fashion

24. Meanwhile where is Jack Hendry?

In the Scotland squad

Playing for the Belgian Champions

In Bruges

25. Insult

I have no real interest in English football, but I read this at the weekend, and it was the first I had heard of it. Typical ant-Irish sentiment.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Scouse.

“What does this have to do with football?” he wrote in the piece. “A lot. The word “Scouse” is an insult that was reappropriated by those it was used against. In the poorest areas of Liverpool, a century ago, the malnourished residents – who were children of immigrants and who mainly identified as Irish – relied on soup kitchens and cheap street vendors for food. What they were served was ‘Scouse’, a watery stew.

“Scouser was a pejorative term used to mock the poorest. When “Feed the Scousers” echoes around stadiums it is expressing a deep folk memory that is imbued with anti-migrant and anti-Irish sentiment. Those chanting it may not be conscious of the history but the driving forces for their behaviour can be traced back down many decades.

26. In a livid piece published in the London Independent this week, the writer Tony Evans outlined the rationale and energy behind the crowd hostility towards the anthem and an anti-monarchical stance: that it was the latest in Liverpool’s on-going protest against England’s prevailing class system and the establishment indifference.

27. Evening all.

For me, goal of the season, afternoon kick off, in the compony of good Celtic men.

St Andrews Bar, Coatbridge, a pub welcome to all.

What a pass, what a finish.

Brian