FORMER Celtic striker John Hartson has paid his tribute to club legend Tommy Burns who died at the age of 51 a decade ago.
The ex-Welsh international frontman said: “Tommy was a special person to so many across football. But he was a fan of Celtic who went on to play for Celtic, manage Celtic. He lived for Celtic and his family, and he epitomised Celtic and everything that it stands for. The badge, the support.
“Everyone who came through the gates at the club he expected that commitment. Not everybody can be a Tommy Burns or a Henrik Larsson or a Chris Sutton, but every single one who signed he expected to learn about what it means to wear that shirt.
“You have to be fitting to wear it, to live the Celtic way and take your fans to your heart.”
Hartson added: “You ask any Celtic fans who their favourite Celt is and they will talk a lot about the Lisbon Lions to the team under Martin O’Neill and right up to the side Brendan Rodgers is now working with.
“But every single Celtic fans will have nice things to say about Tommy because he was really one of them.
“A Celtic fan who lived the dream and who wore that jersey with such immense pride. You don’t come across a great man like him every day.
“There’s only every going to be one Tommy Burns.”
Read more from Celtic Quick News …
- ‘RIVALS ARE LINING UP TO BOOT BROONY,’ HOOPS HERO WILSON
- ‘I’LL BE POSITIVE,’ VOWS CUP-TIED HENDRY
- TOMMY BURNS TRIBUTE: JOE MILLER’S TESTIMONIAL TO HIS HERO AND FRIEND
- TOMMY BURNS TRIBUTE: ‘CELTIC WAS IN HIS DNA,’ PAT BONNER
- TOMMY BURNS TRIBUTE: ‘AN INSPIRATION,’ DAVIE HAY
- TOMMY BURNS TRIBUTE: SPECIAL MASS TONIGHT
- TOMMY BURNS TRIBUTE: DOCUMENTARY PLANNED
- ‘GERRARD WON’T FAZE BRENDAN,’ MALONEY
- BOBBY MURDOCH TRIBUTES: WHAT THE LIONS SAID
- DOUBLE TOPS FOR BRENDAN, BROONY
- KT PLANS DADDY OF ALL PARTIES
Catch up with Pau67’s Blog here …