CELTIC will discover their Viaplay League Cup quarter-final opponents after this afternoon’s tie against Kilmarnock – providing the holders are not involved in a calamity at Rugby Park.

The last-eight draw will be broadcast live on Viaplay immediately after the satellite broadcasters’ coverage of Brendan Rodgers’ team’s meeting with Derek McInnes’ side in Ayrshire.

Already in the ballot are Michael Beale’s Govan club, who were runners-up last season, Aberdeen, Ross County, Livingston and St Mirren.

Also playing today with 2pm starts are Hearts v Partick Thistle and Hibs v Raith Rovers.

CHEERLEADER KYOGO…the Celtic striker kicks off  the celebrations after his two-goal display won the Viaplay League Cup in February after a 2-1 victory over Michael Beale’s Ibrox side.

There was penalty-kick controversy at Ibrox yesterday when the home side were given a VAR-assisted spot-kick to level the opener from Morton which also came from a penalty-kick awarded by referee David Dickinson after he had reviewed an incident on the touchline monitor.

A raging Kirk Broadfoot, a former Rangers player, claimed the match official was determined to “even it up” by awarding his old side a spot-kick.

The veteran Cappielow defender was fuming after he was adjudged to have tugged Leon Balogun’s shirt in the box on the hour mark just seven minutes after Grant Gillespie had silnced the home crowd by putting the second-tier side ahead with a well-struck effort from the spot.

Broadfoot had been involved in the foul that brought the visitors their award and insisted there was no doubt after that decision, but was adamant even the hosts’ players didn’t know why they had been given a spot-kick.

DOUBLE TOPS…Brendan Rodgers with his second League Cup after the 2-0 win over Motherwell in 2017. He completed the hat-trick the following season in the 1-0 victory over Aberdeen.

Beale’s side eventually squeezed into tonight’s ballot after Cyril Desser’s conversion from 12 yards and Danilo’s winner, but Broadfoot was angry after his former team were offered a quick way back into the tie.

The one-time Scotland international, speaking to the Daily Record, said: “I don’t even know why the first one had to go VAR – it’s a stonewall penalty.

“For the second one, even the Rangers boys didn’t know what it was for. They were asking if it was for a handball.

“As soon as he [the referee]goes to the screen, it’s a pen. It was inevitable. We knew he was going to try and even it up.

“Nobody claimed it, he’s not getting the ball. The ref says I stopped him from trying to score a goal. Is this what we’re going to give penalties for now? It’s ridiculous.”

Aberdeen overcame Stirling Albion 2-1 at Anfield on Friday to become the first team to seal a place in the competition’s last eight.

Livingston beat Ayr United 2-0 in West Lothian, St Mirren overcame Motherwell 1-0 in Paisley and Ross County edged a seven-goal thriller against Airdrie in Dingwall where Eamonn Brophy headed in the extra-time winner.

Now all eyes are on the clash in Ayrshire where the holders go into action in a tournament they have won six times in the past seven years.

Quarter-final ties are due to be played during the midweek of September 26-28.

* DON’T miss the unbeatable match report and best action images from Kilmarnock v Celtic this afternoon – only in your champion CQN.

Click Here for Comments >

About Author