TODAY marks the 26th anniversary of a significant silverware success that is almost overshadowed in Celtic history.

On a pulsating Sunday afternoon on November 30 1997 in front of 49,305 fans at Ibrox, goals from Marc Rieper, Henrik Larsson and Craig Burley defeated Dundee United 3-0 in the League Cup Final – then in the guise of the Coca-Cola Cup.

It was a triumph that installed the belief in new manager Wim Jansen and his players that the Parkhead club could go on and win the title – and halt Rangers’ bid for a historic 10 in a row.

IT TAKES TWO…Davie Hay chats to Wim Jansen.

Davie Hay, the club legend who had played for and managed the Hoops, was chief scout at the time while Murdo MacLeod had been brought in as the Dutchman’s assistant after leaving Partick Thistle the previous season.

In another CQN EXCLUSIVE, Hay, speaking to friend and writer Alex Gordon, who co-authored his best-selling autobiography, The Quiet Assassin, set the scene for a breakthrough triumph.

He recalled: “Wim was a bit of an unknown and his job prior to joining Celtic was in Japan with Hiroshima. The fans waited to see how the club would react to being turned upside down.

“Wim and I were busy in the summer as the team went through a massive shake-up.

“July was a bit hectic on the transfer front. Striker Darren Jackson arrived from Hibs for £1.5million, Scottish international midfielder Craig Burley cost £2.5million from Chelsea, French left-back Stephane Mahe joined from Rennes for £500,000 and goalkeeper Jonathan Gould was a £200,000 snip from Bradford City.

“Henrik Larsson, of course, was already in place after his £650,000 arrival from Feyenoord.

HEADING FOR LEGENDARY STATUS…Henrik Larsson takes off in spectacular style to thump in his first league goal for Celtic in a 2-0 win over St Johnstone in Perth.

“All eyes were on the kick-off against Hibs at Easter Road on August 3 1997 for the opening day of the league season and, hopefully, the beginning of a glorious new era for the club.

“Henrik started on the bench, but would play an unfortunate pivotal role in the game.

“It was deadlocked at 1-1 when Wim introduced Henrik to the expectant Celtic fans. The Swede set up the winner with an inch-perfect pass, but, alas, the ball went straight to my former St.Mirren player Chic Charnley.

“Everyone knew Chic had a sweet left foot and he didn’t hesitate to use it as he ran onto the loose ball and first-timed a ferocious 20-yarder low past Marshall. That was the winning goal.

“It wasn’t quite the start we were looking for from Henrik or from Celtic, for that matter.

NUMBER ONE…Dundee United keeper Sieb Dykstra is motionless as Marc Rieper’s header flies high past him for Celtic’s opener in the League Cup triumph at Ibrox.

“How would Wim react? He immediately displayed a ruthless streak and axed keeper Marshall and he never played again for the club. Jonathan Gould got the nod and he made his debut in front of over 45,000 fans at Celtic Park the following week.

“Wim showed great reassurance in Henrik and played him in the No.7 shirt that afternoon.

“Unfortunately, the result was identical to the previous week with the Fifers going home with the points. Wim, though, would not be sidetracked from the task at hand. His determination was more than commendable.

“You only get one chance to make a first impression and two successive defeats didn’t please the Celtic support.

NUMBER TWO…Henrik Larsson celebrates doubling Celtic’s advantage at Ibrox.

“Thankfully, there were signs of things to come the following week when Henrik scored his first league goal for the club in a 2-0 victory over St.Johnstone in Perth.

“As usual, the Swede did things in style with a flying header that almost ripped a hole in the net. Darren Jackson got his first goal, too, and we were on the board.

“The signings continued with Danish international centre-back Marc Rieper arriving in a £1.8million deal from West Ham in September. He made his debut only days afterwards in a close-fought 3-2 triumph over Motherwell at Fir Park where Craig Burley claimed two, his first league goals for the club.

“It was early days, but it looked as though Wim’s jigsaw puzzle was coming together.

“He was still looking for a bit of extra quality in the middle of the park and that was provided by Paul Lambert when he joined for £1.75million from Bundesliga outfit Borussia Dortmund in November. He had helped the Germans win the Champions League the previous season, beating Juventus 3-1, and he was a first class acquisition.

NUMBER THREE…midfielder Craig Burley celebrates heading in the clinching goal as Dundee United netminder Sieb Dykstra sits it out.

“Following the home defeat from Dunfermline, Celtic had racked up eight successive victories. That came to a halt at Ibrox on November 8 when Lambert made his Celtic debut as a substitute. The team played well, but couldn’t convert their chances and were undone by a Richard Gough goal.

“A crowd of 47,464 turned out for the following game at Parkhead against Motherwell and were as baffled as anyone as the Fir Park side emerged with a 2-0 victory. That wasn’t in the script.

“Four days later 49,427 were in attendance in the east end of Glasgow to see a late header from Alan Stubbs give Celtic a 1-1 draw with Rangers. That was to turn out to be an extremely vital point.

“Three games and no wins. Were the cracks beginning to show? How would Wim cope with the strain? I used to have a cup of tea with Wim in his office most mornings and I have to say I was hugely impressed by his single-minded attitude. He was utterly convinced that things would come together.

SILVERWARE SUPERSTARS…goalscorers Marc Rieper, Henrik Larsson and Craig Burley celebrate with the newly-won League Cup trophy.

“The fans were certainly showing their support for the manager. Next up at Parkhead were Dundee United and 48,200 rolled in for the third consecutive home game. A total of 145,091 had turned out over that period. The supporters were backing the revolution.

“Henrik hit two against the Tannadice men to take his league tally to double figures. He was emerging as a formidable frontman and that was down to a change in his role by Wim. He could see he would be more effective inside and his days of playing on the wing were over.

“That was demonstrated once again the following Sunday, November 30, when the Swede was on target again as Celtic lifted the League Cup by defeating Dundee United for the second successive game. This time it was 3-0 at Ibrox and Marc Rieper and Craig Burley were the other goalscorers.

“It was the first time the club had won this trophy in fifteen long years. It was a bit of a breakthrough for Wim because, after only three months in charge, he had given the supporters some tangible success.

WINNING AND GRINNING…Murdo MacLeod and Wim Jansen with the League Cup.

“He put out this team: Jonathan Gould; Tommy Boyd, Marc Rieper, Alan Stubbs and Stephane Mahe; Jackie McNamara, Craig Burley, Morten Wieghorst and Regi Blinker; Andreas Thom and Henrik Larsson.

“Enrico Annoni, bought from Roma by Tommy Burns the previous season, Simon Donnelly and Paul Lambert came on as second-half substitutes with McNamara, Thom and Blinker making way.

“Wim was doing his best to keep everyone involved.”

The success in Govan, of all places, acted as a springboard for Celtic to go all the way to lifting their first championship in a decade while derailing Walter Smith’s team in their unsuccessful quest to make history.

* DON’T miss the big-name EXCLUSIVES – only in your champion CQN.


Click Here for Comments >

About Author