BREATHTAKING! That’s the only word to describe a remarkable rousing second-half comeback from never-say-die Celtic at Fir Park this afternoon.

The champions stumbled through a mistake-strewn opening half before clicking into top gear with a three-goal response to trailing at the interval.

Adam Idah, who had come on for Kyogo Furuhashi at the interval, claimed a sensational double and Luis Palma, another late substitute, rattled in No.3 to seal the late, late show as the champions stepped up the pace.

The visiting fans were in paradise when the champions completed their spirited comeback with goals in stoppage-time from the Republic of Ireland international frontman and the Honduran winger.

JOY BHOYS…goalscorers Luis Palma and Adam Idah celebrate with the Celtic fans at the end.

The performance after the turnaround was in stark contrast to what the supporters had witnessed in the first period.

Clueless Celtic toiled miserably and paid a heavy price when the hosts took the lead in the 43rd minute.

The goal highlighted everything that is wrong with the team as Well were allowed to put passes together on the right wing, Lennon Miller teased his way past Callum McGregor to push the ball across to Blair Spittal.

The midfielder, totally unmarked 20 yards from goal, swept a first-time effort past the helpless Joe Hart to show the visitors how it was done.

UP IN ARMS…Brendan Rodgers makes a call at Fir Park.

Lacking intensity, the Hoops had been dreadful right from the off with little ingenuity about their play. Well allowed centre-backs Maik Nawrocki and Liam Scales a lot of possession as they brought the ball forward in the expectation they would intercept any loose passes.

Worryingly, this simple tactic paid off too many times.

There was precious little incisive distribution coming from Alistair Johnston or Greg Taylor on the flanks and Nicola Kuhn looked right off the pace.

The last thing the champions can cope with at the moment is any player failing to make any sort of worthwhile contribution. Unfortunately, the £3million German fell into that category and Yang Hyun-jun provided a lot more menace and direct threat when he replaced him just after the hour.

Tomoki Iwata did his best to bring some organisation to the middle of the park, but Matt O’Riley and McGregor were being swamped any time the ball came into their vicinity.

NUMBER ONE…Adam Idah is about to be congratulated by Callum McGregor after his superb equaliser.

Daizen Maeda was the only player demonstrating any urgency as he raced around in his usual fashion trying to get a hold of the ball.

It was all too pedestrian from the visitors and Brendan Rodgers couldn’t hide his concern or frustration on the touchline.

Well had the ball in the net in the third minute when Theo Bair chopped inside Scales far too easily before whipping a left-foot drive past Hart, but VAR images showed the striker was clearly offside when he raced onto the through pass.

The nearest the champions came to scoring at that stage was a rushed Kyogo shot from an astute pass from McGregor which was blocked by keeper Liam Kelly before being smuggled clear.

Rodgers sent on Idah for the struggling Japanese forward at the start of the second-half in an effort to offer something to the fairly predictable attacking approach from his team.

The powerhouse hitman proved to be an inspired introduction with a flashing header from a left-wing delivery from Taylor in the 51st minute.

NUMBER TWO…Adam Idah gets in ahead of Calum Butcher to steer Celtic into a stoppage-time lead.

It was an excellently constructed goal with Nawrocki and Scales involved before Taylor slung in an inviting cross from the left. Idah took to the air in majestic fashion to get his head to the ball to send a 10-yard effort thundering high past Kelly to his left.

Five minutes later, Hart denied Well a second goal when the veteran keeper twisted in mid-air to turn a netbound header from Miller over the bar.

In the 61st minute, Cameron Carter-Vickers and Yang came on for Nawrocki and the disappointing Kuhn.

There was a swift VAR check for a possible penalty when a a cross by the South Korean was deflected by the hand of Dan Casey, but, bizarrely, referee Willie Collum was not tasked to watch the incident again on his touchline monitor by technical assistant Gavin Duncan.

As they say, we’ve seen them given.

The Hoops must have been wondering if it was going to be their day when Yang set up Johnston to fire in a superb low cross. but Maeda managed to put the ball wide from practically under the crossbar.

Paulo Bernardo replaced Iwata in the 77th minute and seven minutes later Palma took over from Maeda.

NUMBER THREE…Luis Palma makes certain in the fading moments.

Then came the rousing grand finale as Celtic claimed all three points their pulverising second-half performance merited.

In the fourth minute of added-on time, O’Riley and Yang combined to send Johnston clear on the right inside the box. The Canadian World Cup defender’s crossing had been suspect all day, but he got it spot on this time around.

Idah hit the ball with his left foot from eight yards to steer it low past Kelly to his left.

The fans were still celebrating when Palma knocked in the third two minutes later after Bernardo, O’Riley and Yang played a crucial role in carving the opening at the far post which was tucked away by the little winger.

Now all eyes are on the visit of Dundee in midweek when the Hoops fans will be hoping their favourites turn up for BOTH halfs.

TEAM: Hart; Johnston, Nawrocki (sub: Carter-Vickers 61), Scales, Taylor; Iwata (sub: Bernardo 77), McGregor, O’Riley; Kuhn (sub: Yang 61), Kyogo (sub: Idah 46), Maeda (sub: Palma 84).

Click Here for Comments >

About Author