CELTIC will face Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup Final on May 27 – if, of course, they take care of Sevco Rangers in tomorrow’s semi-final at Hampden.

An unfortunate deflected effort off Darren McGregor’s knee late in the game saw Neil Lennon’s Cup holders slump to a 3-2 defeat.

The Dons took the lead in 12 SECONDS when Adam Rooney scored and on-loan Celt Ryan Christie doubled their advantage in the 24th minute with a crafty free-kick.


The Easter Road outfit, who clinched promotion to the Premiership last week, got back into the game with a header from substitute Grant Holt just before the interval.

And ex-Hoops prospect Dylan McGeouch worked a neat one-two with the giant striker before slamming the leveller beyond Joe Lewis on the hour mark.

However, Hibs’ good work went for nothing five minutes from the end when the Pittodrie outfit snatched a fortunate winner.

Jonny Hayes fired in a shot from outside the box that looked simple enough for keeper Ofir Marciano.


However, the ball took off a touch off McGregor and spun in the opposite direction to send the Dons fans into ecstasy.

Hibs threw men forward and Marciano incredibly almost equalised deep into stoppage time, but opposite number Lewis produced an acrobatic save from his header following a corner.

Former Celtic manager Neil Lennon was far from happy when it was all over, branding his side’s first 30 minutes as ‘pathetic’ and accusing his players of gifting Aberdeen a two goal start.


Now Derek McInnes will bring his troops back to the national stadium where they were beaten 3-0 by Celtic in the League Cup Final in November.

Could lightning strike twice in the same season?

Watch this space!


We’ve extended the book and t-shirt offer to tomorrow evening when it will close. Get your copy of In the Heat of Lisbon and our wonderful Jock Stein Lisbon t-shirt both for just £19.67 at cqnbookstore.com – stocks are running low and the t-shirt is limited edition, so when they are gone, that’s it!


Click Here for Comments >

About Author