As it was the start of the season down south over the weekend we thought we’d have a look to see what some of our former Celts were doing.
NEIL LENNON’S Bolton side knocked on wood three times in their goalless draw against Derby County.
And the former Celtic boss joked: “I am going to have to have a word with the groundsman about the size of that crossbar.”
Veteran striker Emile Heskey thumped a header against the woodwork with his first touch after coming on as a substitute in the 73rd minute.
Team-mate Gary Madine then had two efforts later on that came back off the bar.
Lennon, who saw midfielder Jay Spearing ordered off after picking up a second yellow card for diving, added: “I thought we were very good against an excellent side who are one of the favourites for the title.
“A lot of people thought we were cannon fodder, but some of the players put in exceptional performances and we were unlucky not to have won the game.”
TONY MOWBRAY won the battle of the ex-Celts as Coventry City overcame GARY CALDWELL’S Wigan 2-0.
Mowbray, who took over from former Hoops defender STEVEN PRESSLEY near the end of last season, was delighted his strategy worked so well.
He said: “The goals were what we worked on all week, nicking it off them, Adam Armstrong running in behind on goal and scoring. He had to play a little bit wider because of the shape of the opposition.
“Some games he’ll play straight down the middle and, hopefully, terrorise teams.”
Caldwell, who couldn’t prevent the former FA Cup winners from dropping out of the Championship last term said: “We were confident going into the game and we believed we could win.
“We caused ourselves too many problems and Coventry played counter-attacking football. Unfortunately, we played right into their hands and gave them opportunities. We have to set up better than that when we lose the ball.”
TONY WATT, who will always remembered for his winning goal against Barcelona, was Charlton’s super sub as he scored in his side’s 2-0 win over Queens Park Rangers.
The Scotland Under-21 star started on the bench for “disciplinary reasons”, but Israeli coach Guy Luzon admitted: “Tony changed the game when he came on at half-time and did well. He brought some bravery to our attack. He  showed a lot of quality and I’m happy for him.”
Within seven minutes of the ex-Celt’s appearance, Watt opened the scoring and Morgan Fox claimed the killer second in the 72nd minute to see off their London rivals. Asked why Watt had started on the bench, Luzon replied: “It’s between me and him.
“Something happened in training and because of that he didn’t start the game, but I know he had the ability to change the game. He accepted my decision. He didn’t have any choice.
“When the coach takes a decision and the coach thinks it is the right decision to make, this is the situation. There is no doubt about Tony and his quality.”
The Addicks gaffer added: “QPR are a good team that played last season in the Premier League. We passed this obstacle and I’m sure we will improve and get better and better.”
ADAM MATTHEWS came on as a substitute a woeful Sunderland lost 4-2 at Leicester. Sitting on that bench watching three first half goals go in for the the home side, Adam must have been wondering to himself if it was the right thing to do to leave Parkhead. Playing in the worst defence in the English Premier league is hardly going to help his international chances!
Click Here for Comments >

About Author