CALLUM McGREGOR rekons Odsonne Edouard is a happy Bhoy as he prepares with his Celtic team-mates for the August 1 season kick-off.
The 22-year-old French striker is involved in the usual transfer speculation and the sales talk could go all the way until the end of October with deadlines shifting due to the aftermath of the lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic.
However, club talisman Edouard, scorer of 28 goals in the previous campaign, has already stated he wants to be involved in history as Neil Lennon’s men line up their magical TENTH successive title while they continue their domestic domination.
McGregor, speaking to the Daily Record, said: “It’s a massive boost to hear he wants to stay. He’s at a massive club just now, anyway.
“So, I don’t think he should be in too big a rush to go. He’s got a massive platform to show what he can do this season. He won the Player of the Year award last week and is so important to what we are trying to do.
“The fact he didn’t go back to France during lockdown speaks volumes in terms of where he’s at mentally. He seems to be happy at the club. We’ve a great changing room.
“Everything we’ve achieved has come through togetherness. Everyone in the building is friends.
“He obviously feels comfortable and he knows he’s playing at a high level. When you are happy in football, it’s a big decision to change that.”
After 12 weeks off, McGregor admitted it’s rejuvenating to be back to open-air training at Lennoxtow even if there are Scottish Government protocols to be observe.
The Scotland international midfielder, who celebrated his 27th birthday at the weekend, said: “It was nice to see the boys, the staff and the manager.
“It was the first time we’ve been together since the title was confirmed, so it was great to get a chat and a bit of a laugh and to feel that sense of togetherness again. It’s been great being back in and having a runabout on the grass and to start to find your fitness. Hopefully, we can progress that in the next few weeks.”
He added: “It’s been great being back in and getting that routine back of being on the grass. I’d not seen some of the lads for a while, so it’s been great to see them. It’s been nice to get that sense of being back at it.
“Obviously, there are some restrictions in place. You are still pretty much training on your own – doing your own running with your ball. But, at least, it’s a step in the right direction towards getting football back which is what everyone wants.
“The protocols that are in place mean the building is closed. So you get ready in the house, drive to training, put your boots on and go on to the pitch. When you are done it’s pretty much the same – change out of your boots, back in the car and back home.
“The protocols are in place to try to keep everyone as safe as possible. Hopefully, in the coming weeks, we can start to ramp that up, as long as everything is done safely.”