AGM robust defence of strategy

After a competitive first half Celtic stepped up a gear in the second to swamp Kilmarnock.  The back four, aided by the protection of Ismaila Soro, contributed to our first clean sheet in nine outings.  David Turnbull picked up where he left off on Thursday with another assist from a corner kick, this time converted by the renewed Shane Duffy.

Celtic’s run of form extends to only two games but if any innocuous effort encapsulated it more it was the run Patryk Klimala made deep into his own half to pick up a throw-in that ultimately led to the second goal.  The movement of Turnbull, Soro and Klimala (when he replaced Odsonne Edouard) has transformed Celtic into a team easy to play against into a solid operation that looks confident.

I never expected our play to right itself by moving Kristofer Ajer to right back and adding Soro and Turnbull to the midfield.  After St Johnstone, I didn’t expect Neil Lennon to find a workable formula so quickly, I doubt he did either.

After demonstrations against Neil, the players and the running of the club (which I assumed was a metaphor for not sacking Neil), the appetite to demonstrate against Neil and the players has dissipated, although I am unsure if the lack of a sacking still counts as a demonstrate-able event.

I did not back Neil Lennon to get the job in 2010 or in 2019 and as recently as a week ago, I didn’t think he had a hope of getting a decent 90 minutes out of this squad.  It would have been easier to have a bloodletting than for the board to tell us their man has the best chance of turning things around.

I still don’t think we will win the league this season, but it would be a Celtic fans with a heart of stone, or at least a tendancy to overreaction, who would campaign to tear our infrastructure asunder right now.  Get results for the next three weeks and see what happens next.

Our Annual General Meeting was held by videoconference this afternoon.  The highlight, not for the first time, was Celtic FC Foundation’s chief exec, Tony Hamilton, who explained that the Christmas Appeal in 2019 was our best ever and that our Football for Good campaing this year now topped the £1m mark.

Peter Lawwell gave a robust defence of strategy.  The year between summer 2019 and summer 2020 saw the largest spend in the club’s history, £35m across the transfer windows.  He affirmed his manager’s credentials and made it clear the board remain committed to the title fight this season.  It is difficult to do rallying calls by recorded AGM videolink, but this was as close as we are likely to see.

Some of us have juices flowing at the prospect of a fourth consecutive treble.  We won the fourth treble in our history in 2017.  Yes, this clearly is pitchfork time.

1. Garngad to Croy on

Aipple

Good post and it makes perfect sense to me, but what about the 74 million Americans that voted for Trump ?

2. HOT SMOKED on 15TH DECEMBER 2020 8:55 AM

I think the `Sevco are really good and Celtic are really bad` opinions are both exaggerated.

————————————————————————————————————

Possibly but I don’t think people are saying Sevco are “really good”.

My point is that some on here still go along with the line that Sevco are just lucky, everyone they play is pish etc etc.

If we as a club accept that we have a decent challenge now from a more than competent rival, I think we’d be better prepared to face that challenge.

I want us to win the 10 – not watch them win the title and read through a bunch of excuses.

3. We win all our games this season, we win the league.

Oh and Merry Xmas, eff the Huns…..

4. BIG WAVY on 15TH DECEMBER 2020 10:12 AM

True. In it’s in our hands, as they say.

The next time we face them, we’ll have the unusual scenario of probably being the underdog. How will Sevco react to that pressure?

Get Soro tearing into their midfield, get Eddie some help up top, come away with three points and the race is back on.

5. Geebee1978,

I’d love to see that. Protecting our back line is a job for a mobile midfield like last Sunday where we gave up no shots on target.

That means we shouldn’t be shoehorning in Scott Brown, releasing the shackles from Callum, playing Turnbull, Christie and redemption for even my man Olivier. Run them ragged and give Eddie a buddy up front.

Can you imagine what a win in that game woul do to the psychology of both clubs.

Hell yeah csc

6. BIG WAVY on 15TH DECEMBER 2020 10:22 AM

That’s a good point about psychology. Somebody mentioned on here that their Sevco-supporting mates are still nervous. If there’s a close race, I still believe a squad that’s been there and done it will have a better chance than a nerve-shredded squad where the pressure is ramped up.

What we can’t do is give them a lead of around 10 points (on level games) which gives them breathing space and a margin for error.

If they do win it, let’s make them fight for it – put the pressure on and see how they handle it.

7. Back to Basics - Glass Half Full on

Geebee …

Sevco are a momentum club.

They’ve had no bumps this season.

Not even a small one.

Many of their individual opponents have had bumps.

Many of these bumps have occurred just before or during their matches against Sevco.

Those bumps have been amplified to death by SMSM – further energising Sevco.

Now, they may not have any bumps at all this season – it’s possible.

If they do, and I think they will, we just have to be ready.

If we can create a bump for them on 02 January – even better.

More opportunities to put pressure will emerge in the new year.

But we have to take care of business in December first. Will be tough.

Hail hail

Keep The Faith

8. GEEBEE1978 on 15TH DECEMBER 2020 10:55 AM

BIG WAVY on 15TH DECEMBER 2020 10:22 AM

‘Somebody mentioned on here that their Sevco-supporting mates are still nervous. ‘

###

Their what?

9. BACK TO BASICS – GLASS HALF FULL @ 11.13am

Nope. Not having that. Sparta’s COVID-ridden squad pumping us at home put paid to that ‘woe is us’ narrative that I see Neil is still peddling.

Sevco are a competent side who exploit analysis of their team and opposition, manage their ‘aging’ stars better, bought competently to align with their style as a team, focus on a system rigorously and stick to it, have an identity, became less reliant on Morelos as a goalscorer, etc etc. They have been doing this whilst we fell asleep, expecting the luck of last year’s post-January malaise to kick in for them.

Let’s focus on us. I think it’s too late personally (and the narrative from Lawell and Lennon suggest this) but hope to be proved wrong.

10. KEVJUNGLE on 15TH DECEMBER 2020 11:18 AM

I don’t think Low’s involvement with the Trust is motivated by self interest, except in so far as wanting the best for Celtic is self interest.

Whatever his pin stripe suit wearing , wheeler dealer persona he is a dyed in the wool Celtic fan.

I wouldn’t disagree with you about season books, but it’s probably not helpful to be too judgemental. People see things differently and hypocrisy is what oils the wheels of most human interaction.

11. BACK TO BASICS – GLASS HALF FULL 11:13

I agree with that summary. It won’t be easy, it will be challenging, but, I believe we can still win this league. Realistic in that it’s a big ask.

12. ERNIE LYNCH on 15TH DECEMBER 2020 11:37 AM

••••••••

We’ll see Ernie. I so hope that your correct. I thought Fergus was beyond reproach, history told a different story.

As for David Lowe, I’ve never personally met him, though I once sat about five seats in front of him at a meeting in, Shettleston Hall’s in 1991, it was a “SAVE OUR CELT’S” inaugural meeting, which was organized by, Willie Wilson, God bless him, and David had a toddler sitting on his knee, and the toddler was playing with a set of keys, which must’ve had the padlock of the Bank of England on it. The keys fell onto the floor making a very loud noise, and this happened about at least, 20 times, and David would glibbly stare at the stage as he picked up the keys to be dropped again. As a person once said, hmmmm?☺

Take care Ernie. 👍